2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

(fix) No Cruise control/ ABS and Park Brake light Warning lamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 02:11 AM
xyzik
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (fix) No Cruise control/ ABS and Park Brake light Warning lamps

(fix) No Cruise control/ ABS and Park Brake light Warning lamps + Rear brake lamps

I had this problem with not having cruise control and at the same time the ABS and Park brake light coming on. And or a combination of rear brake lamps not turning on when brake pedal is pressed.

But before I replaced the RWAL/ABS Sensor and checked for some vacuum leaks for the cruise control, I did some continuity test on the brake light switch terminal, and some pins are not working properly the switch should work like this as below.

Brake pedal not pressed (plunger switch pressed)

Pin 1 RWAL/ABS/ PCM - on
Pin 2 RWAL/ABS/PCM - on
Pin 3 Speed Control Circuit - on
Pin 4 Speed Control Circuit - on
Pin 5 Rear Brake Light - off
Pin 6 (nearest to plunger switch) Rear Brake Light – off

Brake pedal pressed (plunger switch not pressed)

Pin 1 RWAL/ABS/PCM - off
Pin 2 RWAL/ABS/PCM - off
Pin 3 Speed Control Circuit - off
Pin 4 Speed Control Circuit - off
Pin 5 Rear Brake Light - on
Pin 6 (nearest to plunger switch) Rear Brake Light – on

What happened was the previous owner used an anti theft thingy where you lock up the brake pedal (or clutch pedal for manual trans.) and the plunger switch somehow got messed up with the brake pedal being pushed backwards than normal. The switch contains thin strips of terminals that bend easily and somehow messed up the circuit for the speed control circuit, the ABS and the brake lamps. I opened the brake switch and fixed the bent strips and the warning ABS/ Park Brake lamps never came back, cruise control now works and my rear brake lamps now works flawlessly.

Hope this helps

Old 09-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Theopolis00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (fix) No Cruise control/ ABS and Park Brake light Warning lamps

Wow this post is old. But does anyone know where the brake light switch terminal is? I'm having the same problems.

Quick Reply: (fix) No Cruise control/ ABS and Park Brake light Warning lamps