2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Skyjacker or Rough Country 5" lift.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:13 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skyjacker or Rough Country 5" lift.

the fabtech is a nice kit as well. I believe the 5.5" kit comes with longer lower arms which will make the arms parralell. Which will make for a much softer ride.

Look into the BDS kit. They have great customer service and have a good product. They also have a no question ask lifetime warranty.

do not go with the super lift. The springs are stiff as hell and the arms are junk. Anyone that I know that got the kit got rid of the arms and the coils and swapped them out for SJ stuff.
and like I said the shock brackets I make will save you at least 80 bucks on shocks.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:34 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Well I'm sorta suprised with the Skyjacker fans here, it isn't a given favorite on other sites. Actually, the truck in question sees a lot of off road, (Outlaw Ram on P.S.com). I'm sure by now he's changed to a poly arm set up. I haven't seen the truck in a while, so he could have long armed it ...who knows..

I'd agree the Fabtech (IBfatchap on P.S.com), or the BDS kit is a nice setup. The Fabtech removes the stock arm mounts so you have a different and better geometry. This also negates the "off road" suspension becuse new springs are used. I know..I have Fatchaps springs on my ram.

About two years ago I taped on the same slab of level concrete both Outlaws truck, Fat chaps truck, and a third 97 ram ext cab running the fabtech with 315 tires.
Measuring from the same frame weld joint (A), and the front spring bolts (B) on the eye heres what the tape said. I measured the tires, they were all within a half inch diameter at curb.

Sky Jacker A-20 3/4 B-27 5/8

Fabtech (Ib fatchap) A- 22 7/8 B- 28 5/8

Fabtech 97 QC A= 22 5/8 B 28 5/8

While it is true that different trucks will have different tolerances for lifts, two of the trucks are basicly the same. You can choose whatever lift you want. I'm only reporting what I have recorded. Somewhere i have curb weights on the trucks, along with some other info.

I have about 30k on my rough country pieces, and the only thing I didnt sacrifice was the extra cash paying for the skyjacker name.
'nuff said!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:59 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

what other sites are you talking about?

I wouldnt say its prefered over on all other sites but it is on the majority of the dodges on other sites.

to each is own But I have compared parts with the rough country and SJ and the SJ parts are much better.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 AM
Kyle Carson
Default what extensions do I need?

Originally Posted by dirty dog
i run the 5" rough country lift with the blocks in the rear and i have no problems out of it

real soon im going to take my coils out and take the two inch blocks out and im turning it into a 7" lift so i can run 40s
Hey, I have a 2002 dodge 2500 v10, I want to get the 5inch rough country lift, what would I need to extend, like break lines, drive shaft etc.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:22 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Hey, Kyle, welcome to the forum.

You may want to start a new thread because I haven't seen any of these guys on here in over a decade!!!

Typically, lift kits require just a relocating bracket for the brake lines and indexing ring for driveshafts. You shouldn't have to have it extended for just 5 inches.

Quick Reply: Skyjacker or Rough Country 5" lift.