2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Skyjacker or Rough Country 5" lift.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Chopper1
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyjacker or Rough Country 5" lift.

I know most use the Skyjacker lift, but was wondering if anyone has input on the Rough Country kit.

Was not looking to get dual shocks or multi flex joints since I don't get all twisted like some of you do on a regular basis. Mostly beach and some occassional twisted up mud holes. No rock climber.

Can get the Rough Country 371S kit with shocks for around $900. No present info on kit.

Skyjacker D501K is around $1100. then $120. for shocks. A lot of them on rides and no complaints that I know of. It is already red too.....

Old 10-04-2006, 07:53 PM
dirty dog
Professional
Default RE: Skyjacker or Rough Country 5" lift.

i run the 5" rough country lift with the blocks in the rear and i have no problems out of it

real soon im going to take my coils out and take the two inch blocks out and im turning it into a 7" lift so i can run 40s

Old 10-05-2006, 02:07 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I'm not a fan of skyjacker at all... I had a good friend that ran thier 5 inch, to start, it didn't lift it a true 5 inches, and the hiem joints in the 4 links rode like a tank. I'm sure he's replaced them a time or two.

I have a smaller R/C lift and am very happy with the quality.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:14 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

a lift is a lift.. pretty much the same parts.. skyjacker is a big name brand so you know their gonna be expensive..i like rough country because they are cheap and hold up very well.. are you looking at the one for coils in the front or the 5 inch spacer?? the 5 inch spacer kit i think is down to around 699 or so

Old 10-05-2006, 02:45 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

sky jacker is a much better kit. I had the 3 and the 5 inch kit.
rough country is ok if your on a budget and want to sacrifice quality.

I wouldnt go with a block for the rear nor would I go with a 5" spacer.

You could piece together a lift for half of that.

Hell
I got my 5" kit pieced together for $350.
minus trac bar (I already had the DT from my 3" lift.

If your going to go with spacers in the front I would run a 2" spacer on top of your 3" coils.
for the rear I would get an AAL if you dont already have one or a shackle flip.
The factory blocks are too high as it is why take your chances with more axle wrap.

as far as the shocks go. I could save you from getting shocks for the front. I make a flat piece a steel that will let you use a 3" shock on a 5" lift or a 5" shock for a 7" lift. It basically replaces the stock shock tower. No welding needed and it bolts right up.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:49 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dirty dog

i run the 5" rough country lift with the blocks in the rear and i have no problems out of it

real soon im going to take my coils out and take the two inch blocks out and im turning it into a 7" lift so i can run 40s
Please tell me you have a 2500 or a 3500 and not a 1500 dodge

Old 10-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Tani1500
Champion

yea i agree skyjacker is much better quality and there warranty and customer service are great. thats why i paid the cash for them

Old 10-05-2006, 02:56 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dsertdog56

I'm not a fan of skyjacker at all... I had a good friend that ran thier 5 inch, to start, it didn't lift it a true 5 inches, and the hiem joints in the 4 links rode like a tank. I'm sure he's replaced them a time or two.

I have a smaller R/C lift and am very happy with the quality.
First off your friend didnt do any research.
heims on control arms + road (pavement queen) = rough ride.

If he went with the poly bushing arms he would have had a better ride.
The heim option is for offroad use, more flex and adjustable.

second no kit is going to lift a truck exacly what the lift says. Every truck is different because of manufacturing tolerances.
Also if he had a plow on it that would make it sag and what ever else you want to throw in the mix.

He could have gotten the wrong coils as well. If e had a V10 or a diesel and he got V8 coils they werent designed to hold the same weight.
or if he had an offroad package and ordered a 5" kit for a regular dodge then he just paid all of that money for a 2" lift.

I have never heard of Skyjacker coils sagging that much out of the box. Now if the coils were used then that is another story.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Tani1500
Champion

i agree, your skyjacker flex series is made for mostly offroad. not Daily driving. dirty dog, also i agree with GRI i hope thats at least a 2500 your putting those tires on

Old 10-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Chopper1
All Star

I'm not going to mess with heim joints. Don't need the front end to move around anymore than it does now. Seems like one more place for slack in the front.
I already have a Rancho 3" with spacers in the front and AAL in the rear. If I add a 2" taller spring, it seems the front axle would shift rearward to compensate the change.?? I do like the add a leafs in the rear. Helps with load squat.

Price is not a driving issue. Just want to spend the money for function not spend it for extra stuff such as dual shocks. They look cool, but function is more the issue. A couple of hundred is not were my issue is. I just want to make sure to get something that won't give me something to curse later. Like these RS5000 shocks.
Which ever kit, my plan is for springs up front and AAL in rear

National Tire and Wheel has a special on the SuperLift for $939. Not sure about the idea of a triange front arm.
4wheelonline has the Fabtech for $1200. It's advertised as black instead of blue.
Rough Country 371S kit with shocks for around $900.
Skyjacker D501K is around $1100. then $120. for shocks.

Haven't heard much bad feedback on Fabtech or Sky Jacker. Just don't know much on the other two.

Quick Reply: Skyjacker or Rough Country 5" lift.