2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front pad/rotor combo suggestion - Thinking about Summit rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 04:56 PM
05SilverHemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front pad/rotor combo suggestion - Thinking about Summit rotors

It is time to do my front brakes. I have no intentions of turning the rotors. My plan is simply to replace the pads and rotors.

This truck is used 50% for daily type driving and 50% for towing. What do people suggest for a rotor and pad combo?

For the front pads I can get semi-metallic or ceramic. Is it true that ceramics are not recommended for trucks that are used for towing due to higher temps under braking?

What about front rotors? I had not thought about going with a drilled or slotted rotor until I found out Summit racing was running a special on their Extreme Performance Rotors. They are $52.50 each. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Old 10-08-2006, 06:16 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front pad/rotor combo suggestion - Thinking about Summit rotors

My personal preference is a slotted rotor. Cross drilled is ok if it's the setup where, there are only 3 holes between the slots. Not 400 holes. As far as pads, if you want the best braking under heat, then I suggest carbon/kevlar pads. Not much dust with slotted rotors. They perform better under heat conditions. No fade at all. They are expensive pads, and will wear down a rotor after 3 or 4 sets. But you will have a very reliable pad/rotor combination that will not warp from heat. Keep them caliper slider pins greased and you'll do quite well.

If you want the next step down in pads, good braking still but more dust, and less pad life,...then I go with a carbon/metallic composition. Whatever the high end pad is at Autozone, or Advance Auto, etc, is good with a slotted rotor.

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest a hydroboost system in place of your vacuum booster. The ultimate in braking power.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:51 PM
05SilverHemi
Veteran

Here are the Summit Rotors I was looking at:

As you can see they have 3 slots per, but they are not slotted as well.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I have looked around for some carbon/kevlar pads and came up empty. Do you have any suggestions/locations online I can locate a set. Summit offers a carbon metallic and everything lower end than that.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:39 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

I bought my carbon/kevlar pads and my rotors from EGR Brakes. The rotors are ultimately your choice. I am a fan of slotted. Those cross drilled you showed look alright.

I found these on Ebay to give an example of the slot/cross setup I like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...ayphotohosting

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:05 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i got the summit brand cross drilled rotors... they were on clearence for like 50 bones a peice.. they aren too bad.. nothing super great tho.. they do stop better then stockers tho and for the price and at the time i couldnt get powerslots.. im not complaning

Old 10-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Here is a page from EBC brakes. At the bottom off the page there is a section on the cross drilled and slotted rotors. Makes sense of a lot of the questions. Of course it's their opinion and they sell them.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html

They have them at Summit also. They are a little more expensive, but the price is for a pair. My search was for a 4WD. I assume yours is a 2WD....

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294907043

Old 10-09-2006, 03:13 AM
shnormo
Veteran

go to Tirerack.com... they have good parts, but they are expensive. Also look into buying stainless steel brake lines. They don't flex when pressure is applied to them so there is better pedal feel, less fade, they look cool, and they stop quicker.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:53 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

That slotted/dimpled set of rotors looks interesting.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:13 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I had a set of powerstop cross drilled rotors & powerstop pads, worked execllently on my 1500. someone mentioned the possiblity of corrosian in the cross drilled areas leading to cracking during the winter, being in CA we dont have winter so to speak. it gets cold... and wet but that's about it.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:33 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest a hydroboost system in place of your vacuum booster. The ultimate in braking power.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.
Can you elaborate on this?

Quick Reply: Front pad/rotor combo suggestion - Thinking about Summit rotors