2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding a second battery tray?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 09:44 PM
BeachCrawler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a second battery tray?

I know that I need to get a diesel battery tray. Do I need to move the passenger side airbag sensor to mount the tray? Mounting the tray is a piece of cake. I looked at a wrecked diesel and could not find the passenger side airbag sensor below the battery. Can someone that has seen or done this mod please explain how the sensor is mounted once the second tray is installed. Thanks for the help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41249/8505B08711374A02BA6062AAA56E29D7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-14-2006, 01:31 PM
BeachCrawler
Rookie
Default RE: Adding a second battery tray?

What is this and can it be moved?

[IMG]local://upfiles/41249/EFA577637DCB49CD934C544BCDDD2E7B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Asinine

The diesel battery tray fits great, like an OEM part should. NW Wranger makes solenoids and wiring kits that bolt right in and work very good.

I have the V10, so I had to rearrange a lot more stuff, like the coolant overflow bottle, but the process is the similar. As for the pic above you're referring to, I don't know what it is, but I shortened the hoses and mounted it to the side of the battery tray. The rest of the stuff I mounted to the front and/or side of the battery tray lengthening wires and hoses as necessary. Changing the passenger side headlights requires loosening the battery tray, but it's otherwise well worth the effort to make the modifications. Ironically, I ended up re-mounting the 2nd battery on the fender when I installed the K&N FIPK, but I still use the tray to hold an air compressor and other stuff.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:08 PM
BeachCrawler
Rookie

It turned out to be part of the Evap system so yes it can be moved anywhere. Thanks for such a complete and detailed reply. IUt is very helpful. I will try and move it to the side of the tray like yoy did. I don't expect to have any problem changing the lights on a 5.2. I may have to get the tray from the stealingship because I've been to 7 recycling yards and the only diesel they get are wrecked in he front and the trays are crushed.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:53 PM
big_Gymnast
Rookie

I've been looking at adding the second battery to my ram as well. I have the space and the tray already but how do I wire it in. Is it just like the CTD's? Can anyone give me a rough diagram or even just directions. Thanks!!!

Evan

Old 10-15-2006, 02:27 AM
BeachCrawler
Rookie

It depends on how you plan to use it but this should get you started.
http://www.fourfold.ca/LR_FAQ/Series/images/DualBat.gif
http://www.hellroaring.com/4wheel.htm

I plan to use a deep cycle second battery to drive a 1200 watt inverter. I found a 200amp stinger isolator on Ebay for around $60.00. Without an isolator you run the risk of draining both batteries. My current alternater is 136 amps but if I upgrade to 200 amp I won't need to change the isolator. As you can see from the diagrams you simply wire the two batteries and the alternator to the isolator.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:43 AM
Asinine

The dealership pricing wasn't bad, maybe $75 for battery tray including mounting hardware.

The kit from NW Wrangler uses a solenoid/isolator and an interior switch for three settings -- completely separate, fully tied together, and a normal mode that lets it run off the primary while charging both (or something like that). I checked their web site and the kit is a whopping $550 now -- I paid maybe $125 for my kit 6 years ago, so it's either a misprint or they're high as kites.

Quick Reply: Adding a second battery tray?