2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whining noise coming from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:54 PM
CaptainPioneer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining noise coming from the rear

Ok i have a 96 ram 1500 v6 with a 5spd std tranny... There is sometihng wrong with the rear end. I will be driving around above 40mph and i can hear this whining noise coming from the rear axel like it is grinding or something. Now its not when i have the clutch pressed in or in Neutral so its not the drums in the rear. But it happens when im in gear... It sounds like it is grinding and it is extremely annoying and creating a lot of road noise... Any idea what it is.... Is it the Bearings?

Also rear end was leaking a while back but now it has stopped and i know it has fluid in it... I guess i should put a new seal on right?

Old 10-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Default RE: whining noise coming from the rear

One of the first things I would do is remove the rearend cover and drain the old fluid into a pan. See how much metal is stuck to the magnets on the inside of the cover. If you have chunks of metal - you have a major issue. If there is just like metal powder on the magnets - you might be OK with cleaning it up and replacing with new fluid. There is no gasket on the cover, you will need red gasket maker to seal it when you put it back on. If you have limited slip - you need to get some "limited slip friction additive" at the parts store. Refill to 1/8" below drain plug/fill hole with good gear lube. I use Mobil 1 synthetic 75/90. If you tow a lot use 75/140.
Another thing to check right off the bat is the u-joints. Grab the driveshaft and see if there is play in the joints. Loose u-joints will also make a "grinding" sound.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:11 PM
CaptainPioneer
Rookie

oooh ok thats a good idea... im pretty sure that its not the U-joints but i will most definitely check that... So all i need is gear lube, limited slip friction additivem red gasket maker. Ok i heard that some ppl when they refill it they put a ziplock bag in there with the oil and let the rearend grind it up by itself is that true?

Old 10-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Never heard that one before. I don't think that would be a good idea - I wouldn't want any "foreign objects" in mine.....
If you have access to another vehicle you might remove the cover first before you spend money on synthetic gear lube. If you have a problem with the rear gear or bearings you can just put cheap stuff back in there so you can get it to a shop or whatever.....

Old 10-15-2006, 04:19 PM
CaptainPioneer
Rookie

well i see this a cheaper fix than what my father wants me to do... I personally would rather do this than have him take it to a mechanic first and get priced out the **** later... I dont mind spending the money on the lube, seal and addative . Im sure there is a bit of metal in there.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:24 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost sounds to me like pressure plate/bearing in the tranny radiating noise down the driveline, had a 69 Chevy C-10 with a muncie rock crusher 4 speed did the same thing with the whining noise....just tossing an idea out

Old 10-15-2006, 09:48 PM
timwag2001
All Star

the first thing i'ld check is my ujoints and rear axleshaft bearings.
do you not have a fill plug on your diff cover? I have heard of the plastic bag with the diff fluid. I read it in truckin magazine.

Quick Reply: whining noise coming from the rear