2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bed mounted spare tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 09:07 PM
asimpson97d
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bed mounted spare tire carrier

I have been trying to find a bed mounted spare tire carrier. I have 39.5 inch TSL's so I think the only options they make are for up to 35 inch and 44 inch tires. I have found a few but I would like to find something thats not going to cost me quite so much (yes i am cheap but hey, I am doing this on a college stdent budget). Any suggestions?

Old 10-15-2006, 09:31 PM
timwag2001
All Star
Default RE: bed mounted spare tire carrier

i saw a bad-*** one on extreme 4x4 today that's tailgate mounted. i dont know what sixe tires you can fit on it though

Old 10-16-2006, 02:27 AM
clk219th
Amateur

Man, I saw the tailgate mounted spare carrier on 4X4 today too. It was wicked, letting you swing it out of the way and still use the bed. From what I remember, they mounted 37" tires on the truck, so I think the set up would carry a wide range, although, I don't how well that set up would fare on a college budget. I remember those days.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:59 AM
JarheadX
All Star

ORIGINAL: timwag2001

i saw a bad-*** one on extreme 4x4 today that's tailgate mounted. i dont know what sixe tires you can fit on it though

that sounds bad-*** dude, i would love that, cept im only runnin on my 275's right now

Old 10-16-2006, 05:30 AM
nhlbill
Veteran

I just sold the one that came with my truck when I bought it. It was the tri-pod kind.....like a prerunner. I put it on e-bay for $95.00 and on the last day of the auction I lowered it to $68.00 just to get rid of it..[sm=sorry.gif]

The style that is also the tailgate and can swing out of the way is a way cooler way to go though. I just saw a price on those just recently and they are around $1k...ouch....but they are very cool!

Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 AM
silverram99
Captain

Well if your school is anything like mine, you have way more time than money. If you have access to a welder just build one your self. They aren't that hard to make, but thats only if you have the means to do it. If they make them for a 44 inch, wouldn't a 39.5 fit? Maybe I am not thinking right here but just asking.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:43 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Thuren fab makes the prerunner type and the hitch type.

the prerunner is aroun $180

the quick link isnt working but copy and paste the address

http://www.thurenfabrication.com/swingdown.html

Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 AM
asimpson97d
Rookie

Thanks for the input. Yes my 39.5's will fit the carriers meant for up to 44's, I was just wondering if i was missing something. I am not really interested in the tailgate mounted or tailgate replacement type. Bed mounted is what I really want and I may end up building one to. I just don't have the time to build one and i need the space my spare is taking up right now. Any other companies make bed mounted carriers?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

Just out of curiosity...

What's the advantage to the "carrier"?
The one in the photo doesn't look like it would save a lot of bed space. Does it mount to the "floor" of the bed? If money is tight, why not just drill a hole in the bed floor and use a long bolt/washer/nut? Or, mount the bolt to the side or front of the bed for a vertical mount.

Excuse my ignorance if those are dumb suggestions. I don't know much about 4 wheelin'.

Quick Reply: bed mounted spare tire carrier