2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EUREKA!!! 11-12-2006

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default EUREKA!!! 11-12-2006

I got my truck all buttoned up tonight. I dismantled the two fuel sending units and made a working model. Installed the gas tank and filled it with about 5 gallons of gas. Buttoned up everything in the engine bay and gave it a go by priming the system with intermittent on/off cycling of the fuel pump. Turned it over a few times and nothing. I checked the coil for spark, and it is throwing spark. Smelled a lot of raw gas and what smelled like exhaust. After a few moments I heard liquid trickling and saw there was gas running down the driver's side frame rail. I quickly pushed the truck out of the garage and mopped up the spilled gas. I cannot tell if the gas is coming from the top of the fuel tank or via a return line. I thought the vent hose went straight to the charcoal canister underneath.

Any ideas?

I am also positive that I have all of my electrical connections in place and the distributor is wired properly.*

Old 10-24-2006, 03:37 AM
silverram99
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buttoned Up - Issues

Any chance the lines that hook up to the fuel pump aren't tight? Also, I don't know what parts of what fuel pump you used but might there have been a reason that the one was in the dumpster? Not trying to be an ***, but maybe that plastic piece on top has a crack or something.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Check out this thread about the fuel pumps https://dodgeforum.com/m_595069/tm.htm

I inspected it, and it was not damaged. While sleeping on it, I was thinking the connection at the regulator may not be tight. It sure felt tight though [&:]

Old 10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
silverram99
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if it wasn't that I really don't know. It would have to be a pretty big leak to cause it to loose enough gas for it not to start. I guess keep us posted, sorry I really don't know what else to tell you.[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 10-24-2006, 05:54 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

have someone turn the key on while you have your head under there WITH SAFTEY GOGGLES ON, you may have a cracked line that is preventing pressure from building.

from your pm... the air will purge itself out of the lines as it primes & you crank it. Did you make sure all the connections are back where they belong? is your cam sensor seated right? plug firing order right?

start with fuel, then check the rest.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Default RE: Buttoned Up - Starting Issues

On a hunch, I connected my battery charger to the battery last night. Even though it is a brand new battery, I figured it would have come fully charged. Well, the charger needle went to "HIGH" on the meter. So, I left it on the battery all night. This morning, I attempted to start the truck and on the first crank it seemed to backfire. On subsequent attempts, nothing. I wonder if perhaps the rotor was not lined up with #1, even though I painstakingly did my best to do. That's all I can think of right now is that the distributor is not wired up right.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:23 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe on this motor you just have to be pointed toward #1 and the PC takes it from there, would have to be way off..........maybe Steve will chime in..

Old 10-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: bamory

I believe on this motor you just have to be pointed toward #1 and the PC takes it from there, would have to be way off..........maybe Steve will chime in..
That's what I thought. I took my time and triple checked having the drive gear lined up right and then plopped the distributor on top, again checking to insure the rotor bug would be lined up with #1 when I installed the cap. It turns over, and like I said, the first attempt sounds like it's backfiring. After that, she turns and turns and turns and nothing.

I also double checked underneath and it doesn't look like it's leaking gas, and I have checked everywhere. I wonder if there's possibly an injector issue, but that seems like a stretch.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:50 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok getting fuel, spark from coil to distributor, how about distributor to plugs? Because even with a timing issue it will backfire when that cylinders gets a spark.....just will look like your motor is going to jump outta truck

Old 10-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: bamory

Ok getting fuel, spark from coil to distributor, how about distributor to plugs? Because even with a timing issue it will backfire when that cylinders gets a spark.....just will look like your motor is going to jump outta truck
That is my next step. Also, I came across something that reminded me of a question Steve posed, that being the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP). How do I know if the CKP is positioned properly? I am certain I set it up right, but I may have made an error during installation. It seems that dirty turd has befuddled a few other people in threads that I have read.

Quick Reply: EUREKA!!! 11-12-2006