2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signals just can't be fixed??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:20 AM
1965daytonacoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals just can't be fixed??

Howdy,

Has anyone had a ghost in their turn signals besides me? We've tried everything I can think of. After I got tired of fiddling with it she spent a week in a shop where after several attempts they were left scratching their heads as well. You can get them to work for a day or two and then they go right back out. It is a 98' 2WD 5.9 1500, help, anyone??

Thanks,
MRFN Hartley

Old 10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
JarheadX
All Star
Default RE: Turn signals just can't be fixed??

whats a ghost?

Old 10-24-2006, 04:02 PM
silverram99
Captain

Does it blow the fuse when they quit working? Have you traced every inch of the wiring? I know that last step is a bitch but there has to be something causing you problem and I would think if you have replaced most of the hard parts then you are down to the less practical stuff like wiring.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:24 AM
1965daytonacoupe

Well the shop it was at for a week said they checked the wiring but I'm beginning to think they half-assed it. Argh. I guess if you want anything done right....

And if you don't know what a ghost in an electrical system is then you have clearly never owned any vehicle with Lucas electrics. Heh.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:40 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you don't know what a ghost in an electrical system is then you have clearly never owned any vehicle with Lucas electrics. Heh.
I've been an electronics technician for 25+ years and I don't know what a ghost is ... I had to read your first post twice. I then assumed that you meant a gremlin.

What's Lucas electrics?

Old 10-25-2006, 01:31 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad grounds. Nothing works unless the circuit is complete. Make sure the body panels are grounded. Check the contacts in the lamp sockets for corrosion. Then shoot dielectric grease in them.

If you have titl steering, make sure that the harness is securely plugged into the steering column. You will have to remove the cowl to access the harness.

Sure sounds like your chasing a broken ground, or just a loose wire.

I'll pass on the ghost theory.....lol, no disrespect.

Good luck to ya.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:05 AM
timwag2001
All Star

MRFN Hartley, the cool thing about dodge forum is that people who have knowledge can share and people who dont can learn. jarhead was trying to understand what you were talking about, and so was I. i dont know a damn thing, but tms bill might

ORIGINAL: 1965daytonacoupe
you might get a little more help if you can explain things a little better. you might not get your lucas electrics experts here but someone might have had the same problem before and called their problem a bad flasher. im sure your flashers been checked, that was just an example.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:18 PM
k12allen
Professional

Howdy,

Has anyone had a ghost in their turn signals besides me? We've tried everything I can think of. After I got tired of fiddling with it she spent a week in a shop where after several attempts they were left scratching their heads as well. You can get them to work for a day or two and then they go right back out. It is a 98' 2WD 5.9 1500, help, anyone??

Thanks,
MRFN Hartley
One simple thing that can cause this is an intermittent connection in a bulb socket - you prolly checked that, but if not ...

Easy to do, open all the housings with blinker lights and remove the sockets from the housings but leave the lights in the sockets. Then turn on blinkers and go from bulb to bulb removing and re-seating.

Oh, one more thing - do it at home in the daytime just in case this is the ghost of Lord Lucas, Prince of Darkness, come back to plague us. My experience with MG's and Triumph motorcycles tells me he's far more active in the night when you are far from home. But, prolly not him - he usually turns out the lights then complelely disables all the electrics leaving you stuck on a small road far from any help.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:10 PM
1965daytonacoupe

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. It was an honest joke. k12allen is familiar with the Prince of Darkness. I guess you have to have owned a Jag, triumph, mg, etc...

Thanks so much for your advice guys. I'm writing down the ones I haven't tried yet and I'll tackle it tomorrow. I'll let you know if any of them work. Thanks alot guys!

Old 10-25-2006, 02:50 PM
k12allen
Professional

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. It was an honest joke. k12allen is familiar with the Prince of Darkness. I guess you have to have owned a Jag, triumph, mg, etc...
And be an old fart.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Allen

Quick Reply: Turn signals just can't be fixed??