2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Keyless entry question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:37 PM
JohnT99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry question

I took my new to me 02 3500 to the dealer today to have my keyless entry programmed- I had an extra remote from my '99 but none came with the 02. Well, apparently the 02 didn't come with the keyless option. Does anyone know if this can be added? Can I yank it off my '99? I'm not sure what the module looks like, or where it is. I'd prefer to stick with the factory RKE instead of going aftermarket if at all possible.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:16 PM
silverram99
Captain
Default RE: Keyless entry question

You might be able to add the RKE system to your truck, try calling a salvage or the dealer for prices and availability. I'm not really sure how you would go about setting it all up though, but I would imagine that you would just have to wire it in. Stupid question but here goes, your truck does have power locks right?

Old 10-26-2006, 11:13 AM
JohnT99

Yep, it does have pwr locks. I was hoping it would just be plug-and-play, so to speak, if I could find a module, or preferably take it out of my old truck. I really hate to splice into the factory harness if I don't have to.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

I added a Bull Dog remote starter with keyless entry to my truck last winter,i think they make a stand alone keyless entry unit.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:17 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: JohnT99

Yep, it does have pwr locks. I was hoping it would just be plug-and-play, so to speak, if I could find a module, or preferably take it out of my old truck. I really hate to splice into the factory harness if I don't have to.
If you could find the RKE receiver for your year and everything, I don't know why it wouldn't be plug and play. I seriously doubt that Dodge made different wiring harnesses for keyless entry or not. You might call your dealer and see what they have to say about it.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:02 PM
JohnT99

Does anyone know where the rke module is located, or what it looks like? I'm just going to pull it from the 99 and see if it will swap out. I would think it would be the same thing.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:36 PM
gphilpot

You will spend more money, time , and effort trying to stick with original. I would opt for a keyless security system. I plan to put in a keyless entry/remote start/security system in my '99 Ram. If I already had done this, I would sell you what you needed. The keyless is nice, but it'e not a bonafide security system, nor can it start the truck on cold mornings.

One thing you may need to check on while wiating to decide what your next move is. Check your door lock wiring scheme. Some autos/trucks simply lock and unlock doors by reversing polarity to the lock selonoids. However, my 1997 Plymouth (Dodge) Breeze sent the same polarity current along the same wires at varying resistence. Thus, the locks would lock/unlock based on the amount of eletrical current of 12 volts minus the resistence to do a particular function. To over come this, I had to make up a nifty network using resistors to accomodate lock/unlock.

GP

Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 AM
JohnT99

Does anyone know where the rke module is located, or what it looks like? I'm just going to pull it from the 99 and see if it will swap out. I would think it would be the same thing

Quick Reply: Keyless entry question