2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear shocks for towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 04:13 AM
silverram99
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rear shocks for towing

K12allen, you can usually wire the controller into the pigtail that plugs in under your dash. You will have to investigate this a little yourself though, I have done probably 500 of these since I started working in a shop and I really don't remember if a 96 has the under dash plug in or not. If not it isnt that tough at all to wire in, there are 4 wires one is ground, one is a hot wire, one goes to your brake light switch and then the other goes to your trailer brakes.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM
ARbowhunter7

...As for shocks, you aren't going to notice a difference with the shocks...
I beg to differ. My Ram is a work truck (tows 5-6 days a week) and new shocks made a HUGE difference when towing, especially with an unloaded trailer. As you said, shocks DO dampen impact, which is exactly what you encounter when towing a trailer across anything less than a glass-smooth road. The difference is even more noticeable when swapping out the stock shocks, which are pretty much worthless after 20,000 miles. But you don't have to trust me, just go ask the guys over at www.towrig.com. Springs do help a ton, though.

As far as what kind of shocks to install, anything will help because as ROM informed me, stock shocks wear out FAST. I've got Skyjackers, they're nice and cheap. The guys over at towrig.com like Bilsteins and Edelbrocks too. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

And by the way, a 3500-5000 net lb. trailer w/ no brakes = big trouble...soon.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:37 PM
k12allen
Professional

ORIGINAL: silverram99

K12allen, you can usually wire the controller into the pigtail that plugs in under your dash. You will have to investigate this a little yourself though, I have done probably 500 of these since I started working in a shop and I really don't remember if a 96 has the under dash plug in or not. If not it isnt that tough at all to wire in, there are 4 wires one is ground, one is a hot wire, one goes to your brake light switch and then the other goes to your trailer brakes.
Thanks again. Will look when the time comes - that'll be after the trailer is done - and that's after I run a 250 line to my bigger compressor so I do some sand blasting.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:09 PM
hilliad
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the brake controller I use: Reese Brakeman™ Digital Brake Control

[IMG]local://upfiles/34260/E8F67BA33BC548C791450855554E9453.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: rear shocks for towing