2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:23 PM
adingman99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust question

I have an 01 Ram 1500 5.2. While talking to a friend of mine he said to "punch out the cat" and put an o2 simulator on it. Now, I know a little about working on my truck, but don't really know what this means. What would this do for me. I'm not talking legality because he already told me it isn't street legal in my state. Just curious what the pros and cons would be. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:24 PM
dillonjm
Veteran
Default RE: exhaust question

It would give you less restrictive exhaust.

Cons:
You emit more pollution
(possibly con) louder exhaust

Old 10-26-2006, 06:53 PM
adingman99

Alot louder, or just noticably louder? I would like a bit louder. I have a flowmaster 70 series, i like the tone. Just want it a bit louder. (should have taken the advice and gotten the 50 series)

Old 10-26-2006, 07:50 PM
JD770
Rookie

ORIGINAL: adingman99

Alot louder, or just noticably louder? I would like a bit louder. I have a flowmaster 70 series, i like the tone. Just want it a bit louder. (should have taken the advice and gotten the 50 series)
not only is it G-H-E-T-T-O its also illegal to tamper with cats in most states, even counties without emissions.

Gains are negligible, sound is loud, drone-y and annoying

Old 10-26-2006, 08:48 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I wasn't advocating doing it. If your truck came with cats I would leave em on or go with some aftermarket hi-perf one(s).

Old 10-26-2006, 08:51 PM
silverram99
Captain

Screw breaking the law! If you want to remove your cat to get more power and a better sound exhaust go for it. After seeing how JarheadX gutted his cat, when I get time this might be my next mod.

Adingman, go for it if you want to remove the cat. You may or may not need the 02 sim also, some people can get away without it.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:59 PM
JD770
Rookie

ORIGINAL: silverram99

Screw breaking the law! If you want to remove your cat to get more power and a better sound exhaust go for it. After seeing how JarheadX gutted his cat, when I get time this might be my next mod.

Adingman, go for it if you want to remove the cat. You may or may not need the 02 sim also, some people can get away without it.

yeah who needs laws!

read my lips

ITS NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU NOTICABLE POWER AND THE DRONE WILL ANNOY THE CRAP OUT OF YOU.

but go ahead and break out the broom stick and gut it if you want, while you are at it re route the exhaust to dump into the rear window.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:41 PM
adingman99

Well, I certainl appreciate the response. Gives me a different point of view from my friends opinion.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:20 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: JD770

ITS NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU NOTICABLE POWER AND THE DRONE WILL ANNOY THE CRAP OUT OF YOU.

I understand the drone part to an extent, but I already have a flowmaster and my truck being quiet doesn't matter to me. Since I have not done it yet I cannot comment on the power gains, but considering that the cat is a restriction in an exhaust system I can't see how removing it wouldn't give you a noticeable gain. Perhaps not on a stock system, but removing my stock muffler and replacing it with a flowmaster and dual outlets gave me a noticeable gain. I can't figure how removing another restrictive part wouldn't but I'm sure you are an expert.........[sm=smiley21.gif].

Old 10-27-2006, 05:54 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional

I have done it and a streight piped 5.2 isn't that much louder than a flowmaster 30 series. The 5.2 actualy has a natural deep agressive tone to it.
When I Removed my cat The gain was very noticeable and no it was not clogged. I also gained a full 1mpg from it as well. I have a friend who works at a local testing station and we did before and after sniffer tests and the results of the sniffer test were negligible.

If you want to hug a tree maybe you should go preach to an 18 wheeler forum or maybe your local power company.

Quick Reply: exhaust question