2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram will start, most of the time??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:09 PM
scfatboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram will start, most of the time??????

I have a '97 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2L engine 145k miles and I am not the original owner.The other day I drove to town(about 7 miles)stopped at a store, when I was going to leave the truck would not start. It turned over good but either no fuel or fire. Left the truck there for several hours, came back and the truck started right up. After putting another 120 miles on it with no problem it happened again today. After trying to start off and on for about 10 minutes it fired up and now that I am home I cannot make it not start again.Check engine light never comes on and had dealer try to pull any codes but none stored. Anyone have the same problem or anything similer. Thanks for any and all replies.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:30 PM
silverram99
Captain
Default RE: Ram will start, most of the time??????

Well, like you said it either doesn't have spark or doesn't have fuel. The way you describe the problem it sounds like a fuel pump. The easy way to check is next time it won't start see if you can hear the fuel pump running. If you can do that, find the fuel pressure test valve on your fuel rail, it works just like the valve on a tire so push in the center and see if gas sprays out. You will also want to check for spark, if you don't have one already get a sparker tool, it looks like a spark plug with a clip on the side. All you have to do is put a spark plug wire on the end and clip it to a ground, then crank and watch for spark. Let us know what you find.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:44 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

if no spark... check the crank position sensor... located on the back of the motor on the passenger side. right where the tranny bolts up to it.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:38 PM
timwag2001
All Star

my truck does that too. the first couple of times i try to start it i dont get fuel to the rail. i turn it on and off to the start position a couple times to make sure that the gas gets there and then it usually starts without any problems

Quick Reply: Ram will start, most of the time??????