2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what to do now

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 03:46 AM
jcasper01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do now

Ok guys looking to build up some hp. 2001 sport 4x4 5.9.
Already done new plugs wires, tp sensor, rebuilt trans and had them go ahead and put a shift kit in. its not a racing one just on that will give the truck faster and harder shifts. What I was wondering to do now is.
Replace the o2 sensors, clean out the throttle body, getting the k&n system everyone seems to love and replace the factory muffler with a performance one. The person before me put a y on the stock muffler and ran duals. I was wondering which brand muffler will give that badass truck sound and give an extra few hp. Oh yeah I also added the jet stage one chip to the truck. Got it off a wreck truck at the junkyard believe it or not that chip really did clean a lot of may lag problems. If there anything else you can tell me that I can do other that what I plan to do let me know. As for the k&n ebay seems to be the cheapest has anyone ever bought from them and was it a good experience. Also are they hard to install? Thanks for any info you can give me and by letting me know what steps I can do first.
last question what octane is everyone running

Old 10-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: what to do now

For mufflers either go for volume with a Flowmaster, or a Magnaflow for a really nice sound in my opinion. Magnaflows are still loud, but not as loud as the Flowmasters and they have a nicer tone to them. I have a video of my Magnaflow if you want to see it

Old 10-31-2006, 01:45 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

if your on a budget, cleaning the o2's might be an option... CRC electronic parts cleaner is what you use. and spray the hell out of it. all the small openings for the o2 can get plugged over time limiting the amoutn of o2 the sensor can actually see. keeping it clean will help with performance.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:18 PM
ripto
Captain

I bought a new K&N FIPK Gen2 off of ebay for $227 shipped. Installation is easy, much easier if you dont have an evap canister the directions mention, lets you skip lots of steps.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 PM
helmsa
Professional

I have the k&n and an Aero Turbine muffler...which I reccomend...badass sound and really changed the sluggish response for me.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:25 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: helmsa

I have the k&n and an Aero Turbine muffler...which I reccomend...badass sound and really changed the sluggish response for me.
what did the aero do for your low end torque? what about mileage? any change in it?

Old 10-31-2006, 09:00 PM
ripto
Captain

those aero turbines are gettin pretty popular all of a sudden, from the audio clip on their website for like 03 hemi it sounds great, but then again I have no idea what mine sounds like from the outside.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:47 AM
jcasper01

WELL IM SURELY GETTING THE K&N, BUT THE QUESTION IS MUFFLER. I WILL HAVE IT SPLIT AFTER THE MUFFLER AND RUN INTO DUALS. I WONT TO GAIN AS MUCH LOW END AS POSSIBLE. DEPENING ON COST I WOULD BE INTRESTED IN GETTING A SET OF HEADS AND RUNNING TRUE DUALS. WOULD THIS BE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE IN HP AND LOW END. ALSO HOW MUCH DOES THE O2'S RUN.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:10 AM
helmsa
Professional

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

ORIGINAL: helmsa

what did the aero do for your low end torque? what about mileage? any change in it?
I have to be honest, I'm not sure about low end torque. I think that torque went up all around...I know that they claim a gain of 27 ft/lbs. As for the milage, when I combined it with the FIPK, I did see an increase. Where I think that I have been having problems is that I have been using Arco gas as they are cheaper than all the other stations around here, but are oxygenated year round. I'm running Shell now because they came down in price a long ways, so I will keep you posted, but I think that has been effecting my MPG. When I first got the truck, I was running the better fuel, but it spiked around last christmas and that is when my milage started to drop so...???

Old 11-01-2006, 05:05 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

cheep gas will do that to mileage. We use Chevron out here in CA and it is by far the best gas out there for us. That and Union 76. both my daughter & wife noticed mileage increases when they switched.