2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 04:01 AM
MossyOak99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Adjustment

I have read in many of the topics about adjusting the bands in your tranny. However, I got lazy right before a hunting trip so I took it to the shop to have the fluid changed. I asked them to adjust the bands and they told me that on the dodge transmissions there are no adjustments. That everything is hydraulic in them. Now I don't know what tranny I have. But figure something can't be right if you all can adjust but mine can't be. Don't know much about them but want to be sure it doesn't fail prematurely. Can anyone help me with this. Is it something that can be done and they just decided that they don't want to do it? If so is it something simple that a driveway mechanic can do on a day off. Like I said. I'm not familiar at all with trannys. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:05 AM
dillonjm
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tranny Adjustment

I assume the 99's had the 46RE tranny in them like my 01. If so there are 2 adjustment points one for the front (kickdown) band and one for the rear band. The front band can be done without removing the tranny pan. The rear adjuster is inside the pan, however. Both are easy to do, you just loosen the lock-nut, tighten the adjuster down to 72 in/lbs then back it off the specified amount. On mine it was 2 7/8 turns for the front band and 2 turns for the rear. Then you tighten the lock nut back down, making sure the adjuster doesn't move with it.

Just make sure you torque it properly and don't mess it up. Ask me how I know this... was late one night and didn't back the front adjuster off enough. First drive the front band started dragging at 45mph. By the time I got off onto the shoulder it was smoking. Got it adjusted properly and now I have a slight studder in the 1-2 shift at certain throttle positions...[:@]

Quick Reply: Tranny Adjustment