2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do any programmers remove torque management?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Do any programmers remove torque management?

The only "aftermarket computer" that exists is the Mopar Performance PCM (though not sure I would call it an aftermarket item since it was available from the beginning, and is a Mopar made item. The jury is still out on whether the Mopar Performance PCM actually removes this or not. I think it does, because I can tell a difference at WOT. Also, the Mopar PCM has instructions not to tow or haul loads while using the Mopar PCM. If this type of TM was in fact removed in the Mopar PCM, this would seem to be a logical instruction. I guess the only real way to test it would be to hook up a tester on the ground path of the coil, and see if it is being disrupted at WOT.

The only other way to get around this is possibly with a custom flash, but you would have to ask B&G (or whoever is doing the flash) if they have removed this in their flash package. I seriously doubt any programmer (Hypertech, Superchips, even Jet chip) change this. When I had a Hypertech, it didn't feel like there was any difference over stock (with regard to this aspect only), and towing/hauling loads was still permitted.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:31 PM
05SilverHemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge
When I had a Hypertech, it didn't feel like there was any difference over stock (with regard to this aspect only), and towing/hauling loads was still permitted.
What did you notice a difference in when you had the hypertech? Did you feel it was worth the money?

Old 11-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I seemed to have better low end throttle response when I was using the programmer. The Mopar PCM on the other had noticable gains higher up in the RPM band (mid to full throttle), and seemed to pull stronger through the rpm range.

The programmer was worth it from the standpoint of getting both some performance gains out it, and also being able to read codes and change my tire size. If all it did was the performance part (no other features), then no, probably would not have been worth it in my opinion.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:07 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I know the Hypertech does not remove it.
nore dose Superchip

Old 11-05-2006, 11:08 AM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional

Ok guys ya'll say The timing is retarded at wot by cutting the ground to the coil. Is this the way the timing is always retarded by the computer or does this only happen at wot. If this happens only at wot throttle it would be very simple to attach a ground switch to the coils ground so that you could flip the switch and the coil would not lose its ground so the timimg would not be retarded.

I did something similar to this with my torque converter recently to lock the TC whenever I wanted to.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Well, base timing is set during Startup Mode and Engine Warmup Mode via the crankshaft position sensor. Then, during Idle Mode, it controls ignition timing by increasing and decreasing spark advance. The rest of the driving modes (Acceleration Mode, Cruise Mode, Wide Open Throttle mode, and Deceleration Mode) all use the ground path to coil to control timing.

I think you have a good theory, but the only question I would have is what will the PCM do if it is expecting the timing advance to fall back, and it doesn't (since you are overriding it manually, not through the PCM settings)?

Old 11-05-2006, 10:38 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional

I didn't think about the pcm's reaction. Now I think it would be a good way to burn a valve.

Quick Reply: Do any programmers remove torque management?