2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Push Rods and Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 AM
nihlcat
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push Rods and Valve Covers

Ok, planning out my projects for 07. I want to switch to Harland Sharp 1:7 roller rockers, and I figured I would replace the valve covers with the Mopar Magnum aluminum ones at the same time, since they would be off anyway. I have 2 questions:

1. Is the mopar magnum at least the same height as stock valve covers?

2. Pushrods: is there any real benefit to upgrading these?

Old 11-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Push Rods and Valve Covers

The Mopar performance valve covers are slightly taller (sorry, don't have exact measurements). But they work for rockers that usually require beating the baffles in stock covers (whcih HS rockers don't require, will work with stock covers). I have them on my truck, pictures are in my gallery or in the link in my sig.

As for pushrods, couple of things. The reason you might want to change them is:
-extremely easy to do while your doing the rockers,
-stock pushrods are thin grade metal and tend to flex (deflection). This causes less cam lift and power loss. This type of loss is really only seen though if your doing something like racing though, so it is not a required upgrade. If you are just building a more powerful daily driver, it probably isn't worth it since no real gain would be noticed, and the stock ones would continue to perform just as well as they would have had you never touched the rockers to begin with. It is basically up to you as to whether you want to spend the extra money or not. I did HS rockers, and did not do new pushrods. I may someday (since adding them later is pretty easy), but I am fine for now.

Remember, HS rockers were specifically designed to work with stock components (valve covers, pushrods, etc...). If you decide to get rods, contact John Mercedes at www.southeastrt.com . He told me he could get me some Comp rods for $96 shipped, they retail for $130.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:15 PM
nihlcat
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Push Rods and Valve Covers

Awesome. Thanks Silver_Dodge.

Quick Reply: Push Rods and Valve Covers