2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power and performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:29 AM
mossy765
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power and performance

hey guys my truck is like completely stock and i want some more HP and torque and i was wonderin what kind of cheap mods i could do to git it crankin some power.......and another question i gutted my cat a while ago and my after cat O2 sensor is burnt up and i guess i need to git a O2 simm and i was wonderin how much would that increase my gas mileage since its makin it run rich right now....thanks

Old 11-09-2006, 11:14 AM
ASH
Veteran
Default RE: power and performance

For free, you can modify you crankshaft position sensor (CKP). Pull it off, slot the bolt holes so it slides towards the oil filter, and reinstall. I did this and noticed a little improvement on the bottom end.

A new intake may help also. I went with the old carberator style intake, a 14 inch round model for under $30. A K&N FIPK is more expensive but popular.

A programmer will run you a little more money, you might be able to pick one up used. They won't give you as much power as a Mopar Performance PCM, which are harder to find. But you have to run premium gas with the Mopar PCM.

There isn't a whole lot that you can do cheaply to improve power. But check out my signature. The mods I did cost less than $200 altogether, and I got a noticable increase in power.

Silver_Dodge has posted quite a bit on engine mods as well as RM Indy. Do a search by putting their names in the search function.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:05 PM
JarheadX
All Star

I really want to get one of those 14' round air filters

Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM
ASH
Veteran

Here's the link for the one I used. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...artnumber=1480
To install it, I found it best to pull off the TB, because I had to bend the threaded rod in an "S" shape to make it fit. It took a few tries to get the right shape, but I got the air filter assembly centered correctly. This intake has a raised base, so it clears the TB linkage. I'm pretty sure I can get a 3 inch high filter to fit under the hood. I'll try it out once this filter gets dirty.

I have a picture of it installed on my truck, check out my gallery.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:43 PM
dirty dog
Professional

what would cutting the crankshaft position sensor do?

Old 11-10-2006, 06:48 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: dirty dog

what would cutting the crankshaft position sensor do?
Slotting it will allow you to advance the ignition timing some. Just like advancing the distributor in the old days. You cannot advance the timing from the distributor on our trucks, so basically by bumping the timing using the CKP sensor you can "fool" the computer.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Works4Ford
Rookie

Wouldn't slotting the crank position sensor and turning it also affect when the injectors pulse?

Quick Reply: power and performance