2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

choice to make: programmer or fastman

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 01:57 AM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: choice to make: programmer or fastman

I got to thinking, even if I did have a code reader, would that be of any help to me, since I don't know so much about trucks, I'd prob have to take it in to a shop to get fixed.

I'm gunna keep an eye out on ebay for superchips 3715, they seem to be more expensive than hypertech, so maybe if I'm lucky I'll get one for ~$200

Is there any real purpose for fixing the speedo other than obviously displaying the right speed/mileage for odometer? Doesn't actually do anything performance wise does it? I would think only new gears would change how it runs.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:29 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain
Default RE: choice to make: programmer or fastman

With being able to read the code and then some help from the forum you should be able to reduce the amout of times the truck has to see a mechanic. At worst you should be able to take it in with an idea of what's going on with it so the mechanic can't BS you.

No adjusting the speedo does just that. No help performance wise. It obviously no big deal it's just nice to be able to do, More so if your throwin' alot bigger than stock tires on and the speedo is out by alot.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
ripto
Captain
Default RE: choice to make: programmer or fastman (update from superchips)

lol

I’m sorry to say our tuner will not work with your vehicle, as they are programmed to work with stock vehicles. With your list of mods, it will not function properly. Sorry.
So they both say their tuners won't work with my truck, is it worth to try it and if it doesn't work sell it back? (on ebay) They must just be covering themselves incase things do go wrong. Any of you guys have pinging problems with your 98's with the superchips?

Old 11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

I haven't had any pinging issues, but i had already put 180* thermostat in before I bought the programmer and I'm also now running Autolite 3923 plugs which are also colder running plugs. From what I've read on other people's experiences, the more mods you have the less performance gains you seem to get from the programmer and of course the more likely you are to have pinging. Buying it brand new is alot of money to only see a minor increase in performance.

The fastman will compliment your mods so it's a nice mod to go with. Now that I hear Dan is back I might actually have to give him a call. I do want a fastman!!!!

I still notice a gain from my superchip and the truck runs good, but I would say although decent it's not quite as much performance as I was hoping for. Every once in a while think about getting a Mopar Performace PCM, but having to use premium is always a deterent.

In another post you talked about maybe dropping down to 265's for tires which means your speedo will only be out by less than 4%, which means being able to adjust your speedo doesn't seem to be that big of a concern. Plus you could take the truck in and have the dealership adjust the speedo if your that worried about it.

If you still want a programmer I'd keep an eye out ebay and the part sales on this forum https://dodgeforum.com/forumid_78/p_...smode_1/tt.htm and try and find on for a little cheaper. I'm happy with mine but as I said I only paid $200.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:37 PM
ripto
Captain

yeah I've been keeping an eye out for low priced superchips/hypertechs. Eventually when these tires are shot I'm gunna get 265's, but I don't expect it for awhile these are like brand new.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:58 AM
bcdalton
Professional

Both are great mods. I got the Fastman 50mm throttle body for towing and noticed a difference in the low end. I noticed a perfromance gain across the board with the Superchips 3715. I use the performance level 91 octane. Much better than the 87 octane level. I noticed better shifts and love the towing option. These mods definitely compliment one another and Dan " The Fastman" is geat guy and very knowledgeable about our trucks. Also, his products are top notch. I would definitely get a throttle body from "The Fastman". Also, no pinging issues with my mods.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:04 PM
ripto
Captain

Okay well superchips did answer me and said it will fix the speedo for my 98 so I guess thats what was up with the hypertech covering the 97's, maybe it just didn't cover those.

Quick Reply: choice to make: programmer or fastman