2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Waterpump pulley wobble

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:39 AM
dillonjm
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterpump pulley wobble

Quick question. I've noticed a new noise from my engine. Seems to be coming from the belt area, sounds like a pulley with bad bearings to me. Anyway, I've noticed a slight wobble on the waterpump pulley while running. With the engine off I can also grab the fan and wiggle the pulley a little bit.

I assume this is not supposed to be that way? If it's bad can the pulley and bearings be replaced or is this a non serviceable unit and the whole water pump needs replacement? The FSM seems to lead me to believe it's part of the whole water pump assy and not able to be replaced without the whole pump.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:44 AM
05SilverHemi
Veteran
Default RE: Waterpump pulley wobble

That is your water pump that needs to be replaced. If you do not replace it the pump is going to let go and you know it always happens at the worst possible time!

Old 11-12-2006, 01:49 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

That's what I figured. I'll pick one up at work today and hopefully I can get it in tonight.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:13 PM
mattyge
Veteran

wowowo yeah i had THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM only then my water pump blew on the side of the road! It was a mess! It's the bearing on the water pump unfourtantely it looks like it's on it's way out

Old 11-12-2006, 05:14 PM
theSoup_33

I think I might have that problem, Ive only had mine for about a month. I noticed it makes this weird almost chirping sound and at times can feel it in the steering wheel. i know its something that runs off the engine, but at slower rpms because the sound is a little slower than the sound im hearing from the engine. I thought it was something with my power steering though. Any thought to if this could be the same thing?

Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM
kstroeher
Professional

I would tend to think the fan clutch is bad, maybe not the water pump.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:54 AM
dillonjm
Veteran

No, it was the waterpump. The fan wasn't shaking, the pulley on the pump was. The bearings had gotten some play in them. Replaced it tonight. Cheap and easy repair. Bought a reman (mopar originally) pump with a lifetime warranty for 24 bucks after my discount. Whole repair including fluid, etc was under 50 bucks. It made a huge difference in engine noise. I hadn't realized until a couple of days ago that it was getting worse, but that new pump made the engine noise quieter than it was when I purchased the truck.

Thanks guys.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:25 PM
Jordan Hair
Exclamation how do I replace the water pump

I found out about this problem how do I replace the pump.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:54 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan Hair
I found out about this problem how do I replace the pump.

It's pretty straightforward. Get a manual, a Haynes id nothing else, and follow the directions. The only special tool you'll need will be the fan clutch wrench. It's a left hand thread and you can usually rent it at the parts store. Just slip a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator so you don't bump it and poke a hole in it.

I would think there would be newer threads than one 13 years old.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:55 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
It's pretty straightforward. Get a manual, a Haynes id nothing else, and follow the directions. The only special tool you'll need will be the fan clutch wrench. It's a left hand thread and you can usually rent it at the parts store. Just slip a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator so you don't bump it and poke a hole in it.

I would think there would be newer threads than one 13 years old.
Right hand threads

Quick Reply: Waterpump pulley wobble