2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

jack, stands, and crawler

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:30 PM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jack, stands, and crawler

my dad and I are looking at getting some lift equipment. We see two things, one from fingerhut and the other from pep boys but I wanted to ask some questions. We are looking at a crawler (thats what its called in the fingerhut magazine, the thing you lay on and slide under the vehicle), two stands, and a jack. Any brands we should stay away from? Any good ones? From fingerhut you get the crawler, a 2-ton hydraulic floor jack, and two 2-ton jack stands (with sweet flame graphics) :P And the other from pepboys is from Torin/Big Red, seems like same equipment, don't know any specifics about that one.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:55 PM
ramchrgr88
Professional
Default RE: jack, stands, and crawler

i just made my crawler from some small swivel wheels, 3/4" plywood, and an old pillow for the pad. cost like a whole 3 bucks. then i got the 6 ton stands from autozone for like 30 bucks for the 2 of them, and a craftsman 4 ton high reach jack for like 80 bucks at sears. i would probably go with a bigger jack stand cuz its better to be safe than sorry. as far as i know, all the brands are fine, never heard of them failing unless overloaded. so just shop in your budget and get the largest capacity stuff you can afford.

on the crawler or creeper, look for the wheels to have a little brush in front of it to push dirt and pebbles out fo the way so the wheels move easier...

Old 11-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Make sre you get a full size long travel jack. I made the mistake of getting one of the smaller ones that couldn't even lift my truck up enough to get the wheels off the ground, and that was at max lift. The one I have now goes like 26" or something. And I got the tall 3ton jack stands, they're I think 28" tall at max, 3 tons each, and were only like $13 each at Tractor Supply Co.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:55 PM
ripto
Captain

Ok my dad and I are looking at two 6-ton jack stands, 15 3/8" to 24 5/16" - $34.99 from sears, can't find any jacks at sears online that are bigger than 20 inches, I'll have to keep looking.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:12 AM
ripto
Captain

picked up some nice 6 ton jack stands at sears, i think their max height is 24 5/16 inches, that should be fine right? about the jacks, highest one so far was 3.5 ton 22" height, don't remember the price of it. prob gunna keep looking around.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I take it back, mine jack is only 21" Sounds like nice jack stands, I'd pick up that 22" jack

Quick Reply: jack, stands, and crawler