2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing problem (Ping Ping Ping Ping)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Hotpappa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing problem (Ping Ping Ping Ping)

I have a 98 Ram 4X4 with a 5.9 and Auto trans. It is pinging like a #$@%*&^! even at low to moderate loads even on 91 octane. The timing in park, at idle is advanced by 4 degrees. I jumps past the scale when it is put in gear. I doen't think this is normal but i can't be sure. My local mech is stumped. I'm Afraid to go to the dealer. Any thoughts on what would cause this or how to rule out causes.

MODS:
Spiral wires
180 stat
50 series Flowmaster
Autolite 3923
Airaid filter charger

Old 11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Timing problem (Ping Ping Ping Ping)

you cant measure the timing like the old cars... it's computer controlled. yank off your TB and look down into the intake and see if there is any oil pooling on the bottom of the intake. use a mirror & flash light. if you find any pooling, your plenum gasket is leaking and is most likely the source of your pinging. a light film is normal, pooling is not.

another possiblity is your fuel pressure regulator is not working right and your running lean... however... generally when they fail, you'd run rich from over pressure. something to consider...

btw, welcome to df.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Hotpappa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Timing problem (Ping Ping Ping Ping)

I have just hear about the possible intake problem. How much oil consumption do you see if the gasket is bad. I only use a quart between changes with 85,000 miles on the engine. Can you give me an idea of what would be normal behavior for the timing.

Quick Reply: Timing problem (Ping Ping Ping Ping)