2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lights Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lights Out

OK, I have a pigtail harness plugged into my tail lights so I have lights when towing my trailer. I also have a set of towing lights to use when towing cars. This past weekend, while towing a VW Beetle body on my trailer, I routed the wire from the towing lights under the Beetle's body. Somewhere along the line, the body bounced and cut into the insulation of the wiring. I think that caused a short in my electrical system, because now I have no dash lights, no fog lights, and no running lights. I checked the fuses and relays and nothing. Is it possibly the light switch? I remember reading here a while back that the OEM light switches of the 1997 vehicles have a bad design.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:06 PM
garpoonga
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lights Out

Do you have headlights ?

I just replaced my DRLM module (required in Canada) as well as the headlight switch. My driving lights were wired into my highbeams, through their own relay and one of the lights shorted out. This short caused the main headlight relay to fry. The headlight relay for my 96 and for your 97 as well I am sure ( I think it was 98 or 99 that they changed it) is located on the headlight switch itself. As luck would have it removing the switch is a very simple process. Simply pull the dash cover clear and undo the 4 screws. If there is any sign of melting at the wiring harness then the switch is likely garbage. Pray that only the switch is junk as it is only 25 bucks, the wiring however is over a hundred. My DRL module was a secondary issue I still have everything working except the daytime lights until my driving lights shorted out.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Gary-L
Legend

I should have clarified. I have headlights and I have my high beams. My truck is not equipped with Daytime Running Lights.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:11 PM
garpoonga
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, I guess I wasn't any help then.....

could just be a short in the line somewhere as well.

good luck, sorry I couldn't help.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you check fuses in both underhood power distribution box and the fusebox in the end of the dash on drivers side. both have fuses.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

did you check fuses in both underhood power distribution box and the fusebox in the end of the dash on drivers side. both have fuses.
I have double checked all fuses (under the hood and in the dash) as well as having a friend check the fuses. All check out.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:42 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like the switch, since everything that is supposed to be 'on' is not on.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Gary-L
Legend

*bump*

Quick Reply: Lights Out