2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine stalls when shift to drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:23 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Engine stalls when shift to drive

Have you cleaned the TB & the IAC valve? that is the 1st place to start, yank it out and clean it up real good, clean the valve mating surfaces with TB cleaner. Your two problems are not related, just coincidental. If it persists then swap it out. the last time I had an IAC problem it was very similar to what you mention however when it was put into reverse, it would die. When you put the truck in gear, forward or reverse, the pcm tells the IAC to maintain an rpm... if it cant do it, it may stall.

the only other thing it could be is the torque converter may be locked... if that were the case you'd have a hard time getting it to move period.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:09 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, just one thing, what's IAC?

I am gong to try and get around to replacing the vacuum check valves this weekend, and if the IAC and TB cleaning are easy, those too.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:17 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

start with the throttle body and IAC, (idle air control valve)...it's what's used to control the idle and sits on the back of the intake manifold. 2 torx screws and a connector and its off. better to take the TB off and clean it while your at it.start to finish your looking at 15~20 minutes max

Old 06-13-2007, 08:01 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

While I am thinking about it, how do you clean the IAC? I imagine you wold use TB cleaner for the TB. I don't have my shop manual on me, and I know I will forget to look it up until saturday.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:08 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/m_697481/tm.htm

Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

Last weekend I cleaned the TB, I didn't take it off the engine like the direction said, but I still managed to clean the inside of the TB pretty well. I also managed to hose down the AIC by using the tube nozzle on the can of TB cleaner and spraying the cleaner into the opening where the AIC sits.
Cleaning the TB made things worse and then better.
The first day after I did thism the truck idled terribly, worse then before and stalled when I shifted to drive. Anything besides idle, the truck runs awsome. So I drove it to work and on the highway I layed on the gas, hawled @*** with the truck to get things flowing.
The next time I drove the truck, it still idles like poop, but it didn't stall when I shifted from reverse to drive, it wanted to, but it didn't.
I plan on swapping out the PCV, breather, and the 2 vacuum check valves. For like $30, why not.
I am almost thinnking about replacing the AIC for like $50 to see if that's the issue. I have no codes on the computer either.
Besides this, any other ideas?

Old 06-28-2007, 12:50 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

I replaced the IAC, PCV, and Breather last weekend, cleaned the TB the previous weekend and I still have the issue. Couldn't replace the check valves, the parts store had none, I found a Napa with some generic ones in stock, so I need to drive out there and get them.
Anything I am missing?
Thanks

Old 06-28-2007, 01:34 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I still say it has to do with the TB... when you replaced the IAC did you pull the TB off or leave it on?

Old 06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

I left it on. I sprayed the keck out of it with TB cleaner and its shiny now instead of the midnight black it was.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 PM
starhm
Amateur

What is the temp gage reading? Is there a check engine? I work with a guy with a 2005 Hemi that had something like this happen. His temp sensor for the engine failed and the computer would not let the truck move forward in drive. The dealer told him it was an interlock to keep you from burning up the truck by driving it hot. Just putting that out there. His truck truck ran fine in reverse as well, but would stall out in drive. I think he could drive with the 4 low engaged as well...that is how he got it out of the street. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Engine stalls when shift to drive