2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine stalls when shift to drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:17 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalls when shift to drive

The last two days, I have backed out of my garage, down the slight decline that is my driveway (2 truck lengths) and into the road. I shift from reverse to drive and the move my foot from the brake to gas pedal an dthe truck stalls. This is the only time it does this. Yesterday I thought it was a fluke do to ai had little gas, today I have a full tank.

I have a small radiator leak, so I drained flid from the radiator to put some Bars stop leak in it, this was 3 days ago, the morning after is when this stalling problem started. I can't figure the connection between stalling and a radiator leak. I know there are transmission lines going into the radiator, but they should be affected by the Bars additive for a readiator leaks?

Tomorrow I plan on letting the truck warm up before backing into the street, see what I get when I change this variable.

Any ideas?

thanks

Old 11-15-2006, 05:53 PM
mojo
Professional
Default RE: Engine stalls when shift to drive

Sounds like two problems. The BARS will not affect the tranny, there are two seperate sections in the radiator. It could be a fuel problem, if you ran the tank real low it might have picked up what ever junk was at the bottum of the tank and cloged things up. If your radiator is leaking tranny fluid that might cause the stall. Radiators are about $240 and so is the fuel pump. You didn't say that it was starting hard if that is the case, it could be the fuel pump. Good Luck!

Old 11-15-2006, 08:22 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

I plan on replacing the radiator next week when I am on vacation, I was buying time with the BARS. I ran it to below a 1/4 tank, but nothing drastic. I get like 300 miles to a tank, I had 285 on it when it happened the first time. I have ran it to 315, that's putting 25.5 gallons in at the pump on the fill up.

The truck isn't starting hard or runnning rough, that's why it suprised me the first time it stalled. I am going to get some fuel injector cleaner, and run that through for the next couple tanks.

Thanks Mojo.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always make sure there is adequate vacuum being produced, and that the lines, and check valves are in good condition and working properly.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:58 PM
mattyge
Veteran

yeah maybe the computer is chocking it out, haven't heard of this problem on fuel injected car, lol happened to be all the time with my last car which was a 1988 hyundai excel! It would stall at stop lights etc.. was really scary some times had to let it warm up for 15+ minutes in the cold, dunno if that help ya our not. Will never buy a car that starts with an H

Old 11-16-2006, 04:21 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

Thanks all. I finally had the radiator let go last night, so I guess I need to fix that before I start testing for this problem.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:57 AM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie

Sounds vacuum related to me,Pop the hood and listen,In gear and out of gear for suction.Or whistling.Safety first though!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:11 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

This is starting to happen more frequently now, almost every morning.
I haven't had time to check for a leaky vacuum line yet, but I may make the time this weekend.
One other note, my plenum is leaking and I saw something about how this may mess with the engines vacuum, could this be the culprit? The last time I checked, the plenum wasn't that bad, just consumed about 1/2 to 1 quart of oil in 3,000 - 4,000 miles.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 PM
catthead

DieselDemon is right. Check for vacuum leaks. Especially the passenger side of the engine where your internal vents and cruise control get their source. I had the same problem, replaces the two check valves there and it's all good now. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:13 PM
2001dodgeram1500
Professional

i have had the same problem but in reverse and my plenum gasket is not leaking
i gutted my cat and it does this less frequent now but still does it.

Quick Reply: Engine stalls when shift to drive