2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ss/t tranny blown?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 04:44 PM
240sleeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ss/t tranny blown?

ok, im new to dodge, and dont know to many specifics. this is auctually my sisters truck, so im trying to help her out. either way, the truck is a 98 ss/t with 102,000 miles. from what i was told, the trans will shift into gear and drive, but it wont change gears. it will shift into reverse and move also. is there any known problems with these trannys that could be the culprit? the dealer is saying that it is most likely a blown tranny, and they want $1g just to look at it. im trying to prevent that. any suggestions or ideas welcome.

thanks jason

Old 11-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker
Default RE: 98 ss/t tranny blown?

get a new, high performance tranny, or rebuild this one, dodges are notorious for the troublesome trannys, most likely boogered up inside..

Old 11-19-2006, 06:45 PM
mopar98
All Star
Default RE: 98 ss/t tranny blown?

Well the cheap and easy thing I can think of is to change the fluid and filter. If the old fluid smells burnt or looks tomatoe red your in trouble .In my experience if it doesn't look like cherry syrup and more like what you see in a can cambells soup you have probably done some damage.
There is a magnet at the bottom of the pan check and see how much gunk is stuck to it .If it's not too much you might be alright .

Quick Reply: 98 ss/t tranny blown?