2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Next CRAZY mod idea ... need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next CRAZY mod idea ... need help

I've already asked this of my friennds over at the Cummins forum, but I'm giving it a shot over here as well since we're all 2nd gens.

OK, so I'm sure all of you are now familiar with the EZ-pass system where if you have some sort of fancy thing-a-ma-bob attached to both your window and your credit card it allows you to whisk right on through any toll booth without having to stop. Personally, I have chosen NOT to get one of these things for many reasons, but the most importnt one is because I believe ( I KNOW ) it takes jobs away from people. Whoever wants to pipe up and say " Well they can get jobs doing blah blah blah", save your breath. I don't wanna hear it. It DOES !!!

anyway .... onto my idea ....

I want to buy a 12" actuator or whatever you guy's reccomend and attach it to the back bumper. There is a gap between my bumper and the bed of my truck. What I'd like to do is mount ANOTHER license plate to this actuator, and just before wizzing through the EZ-pass I'd flick a switch and the OTHER license plate would slide over and cover my REAL license plate. Thus, saving myself a ticket and also sticking it to the man.

Whadda ya think? I had something similar years ago on my old car with the flip down license plate. You used to flip down the plate to put gas in the car. I attached a wire to it and ran it all the way up the trans tunnel, drilled a hole, and ran it inside the car. Whenever I go drag racing, I'd pull the wire and hook it to a screw in the car leaving my plate in the down position.

Pretty cool huh ??

What do you guy's reccomend as far as the actuator idea? Do you think it'll work, or is there something else you'd reccomend?

I think this would be a fun mod. Why don't we ALL get into it ??

EFF the man !!!!

Here's the idea, now known as "Sneaky Pete" ....

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/227E2AF9CF344E22BCB4E32C048D8B35.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/B53A0F58DF6F47D5B1E0D03C345EFFF0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/7A9896B1F0634CF9B56A31A823A94CD7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/605C5FE042C94970B47FFA79360C4A2F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 PM
shepard
Rookie
Default RE: Next CRAZY mod idea ... need help

Who's the unfortunate bastard that supplies the other plate?

The EFFing man will not take kindly to this, I'm sure.

Just add some extra deductions on your income taxes, it's easier and probably lower risk.

If you going to EFF anybody, EFF the IRS.

Then check out the Fair Tax.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:26 PM
nihlcat
Rookie

Unless I misread, you don't use easypass (as opposed to a manned toll operator) because it takes away thier job. Yet you want to find a way to cheat easypass and drive on through...by-bassing the toll operator. Seems contradictory.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:37 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is wrong with you ?...........lol.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/4E2E867A95F749F48A0E9996B69201D6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 PM
mopar98
All Star

You know this goes with out saying this subject is a touchy one ,but I have seen this stuff in magazines u spray on your lisence plate and it's suposed to make it super shiney and reflective so that if a camera takes a picture it will come out with a lot of glare.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:13 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

i hate tolls too dude.. when i get on 95 south i hit 3 TOLLS to just travel 50 miles!.. and now maryland is talking about putting another 1 up in my county.. i've pretty much stayed off 95 now untill i get passed all the tolls

Old 11-16-2006, 11:53 PM
radwebster
Captain

ya know, on some of the old school (60's) prototype corvettes they had vacuum actuated license plate flip downs, that would drop a blank plate over the license plate with the press of a button (of course this didnt make it into production, but it was still pretty cool) to escape from a police chase with no evidence. so it has been done...

as far as 'effing' the man, well, thats all up to you.

on the actual construction, hmmm.... i'm not really sure what the nest setup would be you could possibly work an old window motor and regulator into there somewhere, but it would pretty much be scratch built, ya know? just get some pieces and see what you can come up with. but better be damn sure that second plate is not in view in case you ever get pulled over

Old 11-17-2006, 01:08 AM
timwag2001
All Star

yes!!! F the man!!!

instead of having one come down. get the liscence plate flipper and put it on top. You could have your plate on top, hit the button and it will flip up, underneath you could have a sign that says F U!!!

ive seen the flipper on ebay for either 45 or 85 bucks... i dont remember which.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: nihlcat

Unless I misread, you don't use easypass (as opposed to a manned toll operator) because it takes away thier job. Yet you want to find a way to cheat easypass and drive on through...by-bassing the toll operator. Seems contradictory.
Naah, you didn't misread me. I know a couple of toll collectors, and I know first hand how they feel about the whole EZ-Pass thing and it aint pretty. They agree that it DOES take jobs away because it has. When I mentioned my idea to a couple of them they laughed and thought it was a great idea. Kinda like "Yeah, show em how flawed their system really is. Nobody ever ran a toll collector without getting caught."

Look .... I don't mind paying the toll's or the tickets, but PLEASE have a human being taking my cash. The city has already put red light cameras on corners so that when you blow a light you'll get a ticket in the mail, and NOW they are talking about putting cameras up so that they can send you a speeding ticket. GIMMIE A BREAK !!!

I'm not going to put someone elses tag over mine .. I would NEVER !! I was thinking about puting one of those smilie face plates over mine with the " Have a Nice Day " logo under it.

Any ideas on how to make my Sneaky Pete?

Old 11-17-2006, 02:08 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: radwebster

on the actual construction, hmmm.... i'm not really sure what the nest setup would be you could possibly work an old window motor and regulator into there somewhere, but it would pretty much be scratch built, ya know? just get some pieces and see what you can come up with. but better be damn sure that second plate is not in view in case you ever get pulled over
I thought about that, but the window reg I don't think will travel long enough. I think I'll need some sort of actuator or something about 12" long.

Quick Reply: Next CRAZY mod idea ... need help