2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shift kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:37 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shift kits

Sorry, dont have the part #. Track buddy has a Mr Transmission shop and I got him to install it for me while rebuilding the trans the last time.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy

I have the Transgo race kit (stgIII) in mine(4yrs). Had the stgII for about 3yrs before that. Race kit will chirp 2nd depending on pavement and temps, odd 3rd gear chirp as well.
Did you like the Stage2 when you had it. I stopped by a transmission shop this afternoon and shot around the idea of a shift kit. The quoted me around $250 out the door. I am looking for something that has a kick to it (which is stage 2?), but I dont want my head hitting the steering wheel lol (stage 3?). Yes it would be nice to chirp gears, but after discussing with a mechanic, he said shift kits are great up to a certain extent. He said he believes that when you get to the tire chirping stage, it starts to have an opposite effect instead of improving the life of the transmission components. How bout setting me straight.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:16 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Transgo kit installed in my APS transmission and like it a lot. Shifts nice and firm but not soo hard that it slams you into the seat. BTW mine doesn't chirp the tires from 1st to 2nd at WOT but you also have to consider it's a 4wd with oversized mud tires and a ton of weight. It shifts pretty nicely with this. It's exactly what I told Wayne I wanted. A nice good shift but not so hard that if my mother or someone wanted to drive it that it would bother them. It imo is perfect. It doesn't shift a much harder maybe a little normal driving but not enough to bother you but at WOT it shifts fast and firm but still not like throwing you into the windshield hard.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:08 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

But which transgo shift kit do you have ?? and where is it set at ???

Old 05-17-2008, 01:28 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

Honestly I do not know. I told Wanye what I wanted and thats what I got. I don't know which one he used. The build sheet says APS Reprogrammed Valve Body with TransGo Complete Shift Kit and APS Custom Tweaks.

I didn't think to ask him which one it was but now you guys have me kind of curious. I just told him what I wanted when ordering it and I got it like I wanted. I don't know that I want to bug him for a silly question but I may end up doing it.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:34 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

Honestly I do not know. I told Wanye what I wanted and thats what I got. I don't know which one he used. The build sheet says APS Reprogrammed Valve Body with TransGo Complete Shift Kit and APS Custom Tweaks.

I didn't think to ask him which one it was but now you guys have me kind of curious. I just told him what I wanted when ordering it and I got it like I wanted. I don't know that I want to bug him for a silly question but I may end up doing it.
That sounds like what i had to do to my shift kit , mite have a transgo-HD2 kit , im set on for performance..

Old 05-19-2008, 11:11 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

The only one I found was the TFOD-HD2 ? but it uses a resistor? Sounds kinda wierd. Sorry to get back to this thread so late, but lately the forum has been acting up on my end. What is the difference between a shift kit and a modified valve body

Old 05-19-2008, 11:17 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I sent them an email and this is what Wayne replied with as far as what they use.

Well we use their most deluxe kit then add our own special parts... like the
high Ratio Shift Lever, Throttle valve kit, aluminum accumulator & Blocker
rod... at the end of the day that all adds up to some pretty decent
shifting...

He then went on to say to tell you guys to give him a call and he can set you up with a shift kit or a specially prepared valve body. I'd go this route as I love how mine is setup.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

I have a transgo in mine but couldn't tell you what kit or spring was installed. It's been in for 100k miles now. It's a pretty firm shift but never chirped tires.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

PA, did you ever dothat write-up for the Transgo kit?

Quick Reply: Shift kits