2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shift kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift kits

What shift kits are out there for these trucks? what do you run if you do? what kind of settings do these kits have?

Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 AM
ASH
Veteran
Default RE: Shift kits

I had Superior brand installed in my truck. My friend has his own transmission shop and installed it for me. That is the brand he always puts in the Dodge trucks. He's been in business for several years and has been rebuilding trannies for a few decades, so I trust his judgement.

It has two options, normal and performance. We went with the performance setting. It doesn't shift harshly, but it did get firmer the longer I drove it. I also did a tranny flush at the same time, so that may have made a bit of difference. The 1-2 shift shift is definately the hardest shift.

I was experiencing a shudder or vibration in the transmission prior to installing the shift kit. After the install and tranny flush, this went away, so I was pleased with the results. There are other good brands out there, but I am having good luck with Superior.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:48 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: ASH

I had Superior brand installed in my truck. My friend has his own transmission shop and installed it for me. That is the brand he always puts in the Dodge trucks. He's been in business for several years and has been rebuilding trannies for a few decades, so I trust his judgement.

It has two options, normal and performance. We went with the performance setting. It doesn't shift harshly, but it did get firmer the longer I drove it. I also did a tranny flush at the same time, so that may have made a bit of difference. The 1-2 shift shift is definately the hardest shift.

I was experiencing a shudder or vibration in the transmission prior to installing the shift kit. After the install and tranny flush, this went away, so I was pleased with the results. There are other good brands out there, but I am having good luck with Superior.

does it chirp the tires at wot? is it so performance oriented that it chirps the tires with normal crusing?

Old 11-21-2006, 02:04 PM
ASH
Veteran

I don't run my truck hard enough to chirp the tires. I would imagine it would in the 1-2 shift if I tried hard enough. Keep in mind although I have the 360, it's hooked to a 3.5 rear, plus the truck is a 4x4 extended cab with a long bed and a fiberglass cap. My truck is heavier than most, so it makes it harder to make the tires squeel.

I installed the shift kit to increase the life of the transmission. I was looking for endurance, not performance. The quicker shift you get decreases the slippage of the clutches, which has many benefits. I use my truck to tow and haul loads, so when I am loaded down, I want it to change quickly from one gear to another. Decreased slippage and increased fluid flow is important when you have 3 ton of coal hooked to your trailer hitch. (Or the mother-in-law strapped in the bed

Old 11-21-2006, 03:16 PM
dirty dog
Professional

alot of people here are running the transgo kit and the also have b&g shift kits to put i have heard alot of good things about the transgo so i think that thats what im going to go with i think the have 3 different settings

Old 11-22-2006, 12:58 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Ditto about the TransGo kit. www.apsprecision.com sells them

Old 11-22-2006, 06:05 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Transgo race kit (stgIII) in mine(4yrs). Had the stgII for about 3yrs before that. Race kit will chirp 2nd depending on pavement and temps, odd 3rd gear chirp as well.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:12 PM
dirty dog
Professional

which kit is that?

aint it the trg-tfod or something like that?

Old 11-22-2006, 06:15 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to mention, my wifes not to fond of the race kit. No WOT shifts any more with her in the truck. Says it reminds her too much of my sport bikes and not being able to stop her helmut from slapping the back of mine at shifts lol.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:19 PM
dirty dog
Professional

hey indy where did you order the kit and what was the part #s on it i dont wont one that feels like your going to break something every time you shift but would like a quicker shift with a little jerk to it

Quick Reply: Shift kits