2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weired shift? Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:05 AM
magnum318
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weired shift? Tranny

I don't know if it's a problem or if it's normal.
If I'm driveing at a constant speed it feals as if it stops pulling and I can tap or let off the accel and it will shift and go on.
Same with cruise on. It will drive along, RPM's drop slightly, shift and accel back up to speed and then do it over again. Remember I live on hills and it does it more climbing a hill.

Would this be TPS? or is it just normal?
94 Ram 2wd 5.2l

Old 11-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Default RE: Weired shift? Tranny

Sounds like the TPS to me. A new one is about $35 and it takes 5 minutes to change it. Try that first....

Old 11-25-2006, 10:25 PM
magnum318
Rookie

Aight will do.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I was rereading your original post - you said the rpm's DROP slightly or RAISE slightly?? The major symptom of a bad tps is that you are cruising along at a steady speed in or out of cruise - and the rpm's wil jump up 2-300 rpm's or so and the pedal will feel mushy until you get it to kick down a gear and then re-lock. There have been lots of threads on here about this problem. the bad tps causes the computer to unlock the torque converter when it doesn't need to - which causes the mushy gas pedal and the constant feel like it is kicking out of gear. This is a common problem on these trucks......funny thing is that 2 different dealers couldn't figure it out on mine.......

Old 11-26-2006, 02:03 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check and make sure your brake light switch is working properly. Do you have cruise, and does it seem to bworking ok? If you can't set it, or it kicks out for no reason, then your brake light switch may need adjustment or replacement.

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:50 AM
magnum318
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

I was rereading your original post - you said the rpm's DROP slightly or RAISE slightly?? The major symptom of a bad tps is that you are cruising along at a steady speed in or out of cruise - and the rpm's wil jump up 2-300 rpm's or so and the pedal will feel mushy until you get it to kick down a gear and then re-lock. There have been lots of threads on here about this problem. the bad tps causes the computer to unlock the torque converter when it doesn't need to - which causes the mushy gas pedal and the constant feel like it is kicking out of gear. This is a common problem on these trucks......funny thing is that 2 different dealers couldn't figure it out on mine.......
Well actually I don't know if the rpm's are changeing down or up. I have to push the throttle a good ways to make it kick down and go on. It actually sometimes makes the valves rattle when it does it.
I don't think the intake belly pan is leaking. I only have a light coating of oil in there and I keep looking for a puddle everytime I have to take the air filter housing off.

BTW: The tranny is a Jasper, I have no clue how old it is but it's newer than the truck. I'm hopeing it isn't in the tranny..........

Old 11-26-2006, 02:55 AM
magnum318
Rookie

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

Also check and make sure your brake light switch is working properly. Do you have cruise, and does it seem to bworking ok? If you can't set it, or it kicks out for no reason, then your brake light switch may need adjustment or replacement.

Good luck.
Yea, I have read your posts on this problem.
No my cruise works perfectly. It never kicks out or anything, I even went out of the way to hit bumps to make sure.
I was thinking that might be it but I tried to make it kick out and never would.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:02 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Mine will "kick down" a lot if I have the cruise on. The 5.2 motor stock bogs down pretty bad, especially if you have a high gear - mine has a 3.55 rear. I gauge how much my mods have helped by how many little hills I can go up in cruise mode on the interstate without the tranny "kicking down". Mine used to downshift on damn near every little rise in the road before I added my mods. It will still do it on bigger hills but not near as bad as it used to. I run the cruise on the flatter parts of the highway and take it off on the hillier parts because I don't like the engine revving that high every freakin hill and it eats gas. I just kind of feather it up the hills and accept the speed drop. If the truck is "rpm jumping" at a steady speed on level ground - then you need to look into the tps or brake light switch. If you are just concerned with the tranny kicking down all the time - I'd say that is normal for what you have.....

Old 11-26-2006, 04:32 AM
magnum318
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

Mine will "kick down" a lot if I have the cruise on. The 5.2 motor stock bogs down pretty bad, especially if you have a high gear - mine has a 3.55 rear. I gauge how much my mods have helped by how many little hills I can go up in cruise mode on the interstate without the tranny "kicking down". Mine used to downshift on damn near every little rise in the road before I added my mods. It will still do it on bigger hills but not near as bad as it used to. I run the cruise on the flatter parts of the highway and take it off on the hillier parts because I don't like the engine revving that high every freakin hill and it eats gas. I just kind of feather it up the hills and accept the speed drop. If the truck is "rpm jumping" at a steady speed on level ground - then you need to look into the tps or brake light switch. If you are just concerned with the tranny kicking down all the time - I'd say that is normal for what you have.....
that's basically my problem rite there. I been doing the same with the throttle as you to make up for the shift. Doesn't do it on level ground but that is scarce here.
I live in NE Tennessee but where I can use cruise it's not bad.
Thanks, I didn't know if it were a problem or if it was normal. I'm going to lower the gear ratio in the near future. I still have the stock 3.55.

Quick Reply: Weired shift? Tranny