2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electrical whoopsies

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Mike Roma
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electrical whoopsies

First hit with Yahoo search:
http://www.nvrec.com/christma.htm

I want to see pics too!

I was thinking of doing that myself, and if "the girls love it", I guess I will!
I have a 1500w and a 450w inverter. I figured the 450w would be ok for christmas lights. I think I paid maybe $15 for it a few years ago. You should be able to find one cheap.

I don't see the need to calculate amps, myself (at least at this level of power). A watt is a watt is a watt. Leave a "buffer", though. I don't try to run 1500 watt tools with my 1500w inverter. I limit my use to 10 amp tools, or less. 10 amps X 120 volts = 1200 watts. Don't push to the limit. Buy an inverter that's a little bigger than you think you need. Those "cheap" 75w or 100w inverters are a waste of money IMO, when you can get a larger, better one for close to the same price if you shop around. Try Home Depot, or other building supply. I got mine at Costco for a really good price, but you never know what Costco has from one day to the next. The better ones have fuses, and alarms, in case you overload, or underpower them.

I doubt you hurt your truck (on topic ), but that inverter may be toasted. I'd take it back to Wally World if I had just bought it. Put the bucks toward a better one. They are really nice to have. Over 150w or so, you need to wire it to your battery, not the cig lighter. I think my 450w said up to 150w on cig lighter, or 450w direct to battery. The 1500 came with heavy battery cables, cig lighter is not an option. I want a 2500w, but can't justify the expense right now.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

i appreciate the response! ha...... how do you wire it to your battery? have to run thru the firewall i assume?? sounds like a little much. theres a guy at my school whos runnin 4 strands of a cigarette invertor........ im gonna borrow his tomorrow and see if it supports mine, and if it does just go find one like his.

and for wiring it to the battery, all youd have to do is wrap it to the positive and negative, right?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

To connect to battery, just hook the cables to the battery terminals. Make sure you have a good, solid connection. Don't just wrap the wires around the posts. You can mount the inverter under the hood if you want to. If you are running a large load, leave the motor running. I have a deep cycle battery to run off of when I don't want to run the motor.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:53 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

yeah i would think so.. but that would mean cutting a strand.. i'd just get a power inverter and run them off it.. it'll be fine.. get some of those icesikel lights that hang down and hang them in the cab lol..

Old 12-01-2006, 12:39 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

actually ive been thinkin about gettin icicels (sp????? cant figure that out haha) and puttin them on the fenders...... i dk. i really dont wanna have to buy lights too haha.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

get some green and red neon lights to..red underneath and green in the bed

Old 12-01-2006, 01:06 AM
jakebrake
Champion

put up a tree in the bed!