2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:56 AM
timwag2001
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ticking Noise

you're not supposed to run the tires without them on the ground. cintrifical (problably spelled wrong) can cause your tires to explode. if you put it in drive and there is'nt any resistance from the ground your tires are going to go faster and faster, risking damage.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: timwag2001

you're not supposed to run the tires without them on the ground. cintrifical (problably spelled wrong) can cause your tires to explode. if you put it in drive and there is'nt any resistance from the ground your tires are going to go faster and faster, risking damage.
Man, I haven't had a good laugh like that in years. If you actually believe that, you're nuttier than a Christmas fruitcake. Sorry, but that's a crock of ****.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 PM
timwag2001
All Star

If you find yourself stuck in snow, ice, mud or wet grass, don't spin your tires rapidly, and never spin them if a drive wheel is off the ground. Doing so can actually cause a tire to explode and seriously injure someone, because if one drive wheel is stuck, and the other is free to spin, all the engine's power goes to the free wheel. If you're in snow, turn off the vehicle, apply the brakes and shovel snow away from the tires and vehicle. Try sand and gravel to get more traction. If that doesn't work, gently rock the vehicle back and forth using forward and reverse gears. Keep people away from your tires and the vehicle as you rock.

The idea is to accelerate slowly; never exceed 35 mph on your speedometer

thats a quote from cooper tires.

The forces created by a rapidly spinning tire can cause an explosion by literally tearing the tire apart. These forces impact the whole tire structure and can rupture the entire casing. Some vehicles are capable of bringing a tire to this failing point in 3 to 5 seconds

thats a quote from omnitelcom.com

Tire Spinning

Tire spinning is dangerous. Excessive spinning can cause a tire to "explode".

Avoid tire spinning. The centrifugal forces created by a rapidly spinning tire can cause an explosion by tearing the tire apart. These forces act on the complete tire structure, and can be of such magnitude as to break beads as well as rupturing the entire carcass.

When stuck on ice, snow, mud, or wet grass, etc., the vehicle should be rocked gently (alternately using forward and reverse gears) with the least amount of wheel spinning. DO NOT exceed 35 mph as indicated on the speedometer. Never allow anyone to stand near or directly ahead of or behind the spinning tire.

Do not spin if a drive wheel is off the ground. Serious personal injury or death can result from the explosion of a spinning tire.

quote from avon tire

my auto teacher taught me that years ago.
and there's some advice from some major tire manufacturers. could have gotten more but i thought that the thread would be too long. (not that its not too long already)

just dont want you to get hurt. especially if you have a broken belt.
and if your under the truck while all this is happening...

Old 12-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Then how does a tire shop balance a tire?

Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 PM
timwag2001
All Star

they dont spin it too fast.
if your not in the truck with your foot on the brake you cant stop it from going too fast.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:34 PM
timwag2001
All Star

maybe the tires wont pop at that speed, like they say.

but you should be cautious. ive got a 1 ton jack but i still but jackstands under my truck.

like i said. i just dont want him to get hurt.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:45 PM
RamOwna
Professional

a shop tire is manually spun on a machine by hand which i don't think it is humanly possible to rotate a tire on a machine by hand and create as much force as a free spinning tire would on a truck

Old 12-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: RamOwna

a shop tire is manually spun on a machine by hand which i don't think it is humanly possible to rotate a tire on a machine by hand and create as much force as a free spinning tire would on a truck

Nope. They use a machine that spins them up at a respectable RPM.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:31 PM
timwag2001
All Star

so youre telling me that they get it up over 35 mph? kinda find it hard to beleive that they would do that, even though all manufacturers recommend that you dont.
its physics man. if you can hold water in a cup by slowly spinning it up over your head, immagine what the force would be of the weight of the rubber and belts being spun that fast.

if youre so sure of it, go jack up your truck and step on the gas.
not trying to sound like a dick, but i think you should be a little bit smarter than that.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:36 PM
timwag2001
All Star

nevermind, im a dick.
i just found a site that said their balancers go to 55 mph and shut off.

cant understand why ive been told this and why these sites say it.
you win i lose.
but you wont find me under the tire while its spinning like that.

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise