2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heater return hose "O" ring

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
1RewdRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater return hose "O" ring

I recently did a bunch of stuff requiring removal of the return hose. After re-assembly I seem to have a coolant leak. When I re-assembled I just replaced the existing O-ring with a rubber one I had lying around. I seem to remember reading somewhere on here about using a Teflon ring instead of rubber. This true? Anyone know offhand what size it is so I can call around to find one? Thanks.

MOUNTAINEERS ARE ALWAYS FREE

Old 12-01-2006, 08:08 PM
smartobject
Rookie
Default RE: heater return hose "O" ring

If you mean that o-ring on that metal tube that comes off the Water Pump and points over toward the power steering pump --- I messed mine up by bending it. Even when I replaced a new O-Ring, it still leaked. So I got the whole part at the dealer -- $25.

Then I saw the same item at AutoZone (over at the "Help" brand stuff) for about $7. Sheesh....

Check it out,
Lee

Old 12-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wasn't paying attention when I removed the old one. I put black RTV on the hard line when I put it into the pump. I didn't know I needed to use the O-Ring. Holds up tight.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:29 AM
huttbutt
Amateur

I had same problem but it was not the o ring. The bracket on the metal tube that the bolt goes through must be mounted between the engine and the washer not the washer and the bolt. It must be perfectly square.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:54 PM
1RewdRam

I got the whole tube thingy and just replaced it, problem solved, (that 0-ring, btw, was $3.10 from the dealer). Should have done it to begin with since it was somewhat corroded. In all I replaced the plenum, timing chain and gears, thermostat (180), hoses, water pump (lifetime guarantee!), flush/fill coolant, oil/filter change, truck plugs, wires, rotor, button, KN drop in, serpentine belt and tensioner. All this simply because a little straw popped off the throttle body spray and couldn't be found ( yes, the sum'bitch was in there alright). Think that's it, kept me busy. FYI: NEVER let yourself get bit by a Wheel Bug, Happened to me right before I started this project a coupla months ago, and I STILL have a nasty carbunkle on my back. DR says it can take up to a YEAR to heal.

Next: resurfacing/polishing headlight lenses, new headlamps/markers, and relay/wiring harness set up. Plus probably better bulbs all around. Still considering replacements for the driving lamps but Christmas is eating up my money and they are about $150 soooooooooo.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:56 PM
k12allen
Professional

ORIGINAL: 1RewdRam
FYI: NEVER let yourself get bit by a Wheel Bug, Happened to me right before I started this project a coupla months ago, and I STILL have a nasty carbunkle on my back. DR says it can take up to a YEAR to heal.
Wheelbugs can be nasty but it has a cousin even nastier that can leave an infection that's tough to cure and can killya.

Good thing is the infection is mostly in S. America - but sometimes it happens in Texas. SoCal too.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:41 PM
1RewdRam

ORIGINAL: k12allen

ORIGINAL: 1RewdRam
FYI: NEVER let yourself get bit by a Wheel Bug, Happened to me right before I started this project a coupla months ago, and I STILL have a nasty carbunkle on my back. DR says it can take up to a YEAR to heal.
Wheelbugs can be nasty but it has a cousin even nastier that can leave an infection that's tough to cure and can killya.

Good thing is the infection is mostly in S. America - but sometimes it happens in Texas. SoCal too.
............ and that cousin's name would be?

Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

i, as well, would like to know the name of this cousin

Quick Reply: heater return hose "O" ring