2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RPM levels with diff size tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:37 PM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RPM levels with diff size tires

what does the truck have at its sweet spot, and what would that be at in say my truck, 3.55 w/ 33s

Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: ripto

what does the truck have at its sweet spot, and what would that be at in say my truck, 3.55 w/ 33s
for me, my sweet spot seems to be at like 2-3k. if i were to throw 410s in there like i may be planning, i would think it would jump to 3-4.5k.

sweet spot is your torque peak

Old 12-03-2006, 05:50 PM
ripto
Captain

yea thats what i thought it was but if thats where your torque peaks, whats so good at being at that spot, because if you accelerate any more won't you be out of that spot and no longer be at the max in the powercurve? and doesnt high torque = better acceleration, but if you accelerate, your no longer in there. idk

Old 12-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

for me, my sweet spot seems to be at like 2-3k. if i were to throw 410s in there like i may be planning, i would think it would jump to 3-4.5k.

sweet spot is your torque peak
Why would the torque peak of your engine change if you changed the rear end gearing?

Old 12-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

yea thats what i thought it was but if thats where your torque peaks, whats so good at being at that spot, because if you accelerate any more won't you be out of that spot and no longer be at the max in the powercurve? and doesnt high torque = better acceleration, but if you accelerate, your no longer in there. idk
You make a good point. You want to stay in the powerband. That's what the transmission is for. Shift to the next gear when you reach peak horsepower (or a tad after, whatever gives the quickest E.T.), at least for racing purposes.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:18 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

The torque peak doesn't change, unless you change something (like the cam) in the motor. Most stock 5.9 gassers peak about 2500-2700 rpm.
Gears do all the things mentioned above. I like to call them torque multipliers. Thats why you accelerate quicker with lower gears. You also can stay in the engines sweet spot, allowing the best use of your motors combustion.
Just like cams, you can over do gearing too. But that's another story.

BTW research is showing that Computer controlled vehicles are more easily adjusted for large tire/high gear combinations than most people think. There's a couple different devices. One is Superlifts Truspeed, the other other is a jet product. Like programmers, they can change the computer to compensate for tire size. Unlike a programer, they also reconfigure the ABS system. Both programers and these items will cause the computer to readjust igniton curves and fuel injector timing. as well as shift points.

Superlifts product aloows very fine adjustments, and can actually be switched between two different tire sizes.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Ryanshreds

I have the Superlift True Speed unit. It was super easy to install, and it works great. Have not got a ticket since I installed it. I would highly recommend it.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

The actuall physical torque does not change in the motor, but the application of it to the ground is diffrent. There are two diffrent ways to look at your power, power at the crank, and power to the wheels.

Quick Reply: RPM levels with diff size tires