2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:29 PM
indebtuptomyears
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough ride

Hi, I have a 1996 1500 extended cab short box 4x4
I have 3' of lift. I used skyjacker soft ride 3"coil springs up front and add a-leafs in the rear to get the lift.
I am using Edelbrock IAS shocks right now.
Now for my question. My truck rides so stiff it about shakes your insides loose. Expecially on roads were the pavement lines are real close together. Its almost like I dont have shocks at all just a solid rod instead. Its so bad I don't want my wife to drive it for fear of her loosing control. I am almost to the point of putting the stock springs back in and just use a spacer to get the lift I want. But I am not sure if thats my problem or not or if its just the shocks. Now I know its a truck with a solid front axle and its not going to ride like a car and I dont want it to, but this is really bad. I was hoping some of you might have some ideas before I start tearing in to it.
Thanks for any Ideas guys.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:53 PM
BeachCrawler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rough ride

I don't have a lift but my truck is nice and smooth with the Monroe Sensa-tracs. I paid $143.00 for the set of 4 and put them in myself two weeks ago.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:54 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rough ride

Stiff ride? I envy you. I doubt if it's the shocks. I put my IAS set in two weeks ago and they ride SOFT compared to the Max-Controls I replaced ... and even THEY felt squishy compared to the Heckthorns I put in first. More likely than not it's the springs ... especially the add-a-leaf. Just because something SAYS "Soft Ride" doesn't make it so.

Quick Reply: rough ride