2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Irregular Shifting, help settle my nerves

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:01 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Irregular Shifting, help settle my nerves

ORIGINAL: Ram1500Dodge

didnt really feel like reading everyone elses suggestions so this may have already been said but ill throw in my .02 in. how bout just checking the fluid level?
first thing checked.

with just shy of 170k on the odo, i think i may just get a new buillit trans.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:07 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

My truck holds onto second gear way longer than it should, even when i let off the gas it still holds second gear for a second or two, and then shifts into third. Im perplexed, because theres no slipage, so it doesnt feel like an accumulator, it just holds the gear longer, and when it does shift its not hard or soft, its just normal. Any thoughts would be helpful.
My 99 did this when I first bought it, maybe worse because it would hold second until 4000 rpm and it was a struggle to get it to shift to 3rd. I went to the stealership and they did a tranny flush and service plus added somthing to the atf and this cleared the problem right up. They said it was likely a sticky valve. Good as new and that was 50 000 km ago. I paid a little less than 300 bucks. Good luck with it!

Old 12-09-2006, 12:17 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: 1980blackfiveoh

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

My truck holds onto second gear way longer than it should, even when i let off the gas it still holds second gear for a second or two, and then shifts into third. Im perplexed, because theres no slipage, so it doesnt feel like an accumulator, it just holds the gear longer, and when it does shift its not hard or soft, its just normal. Any thoughts would be helpful.
My 99 did this when I first bought it, maybe worse because it would hold second until 4000 rpm and it was a struggle to get it to shift to 3rd. I went to the stealership and they did a tranny flush and service plus added somthing to the atf and this cleared the problem right up. They said it was likely a sticky valve. Good as new and that was 50 000 km ago. I paid a little less than 300 bucks. Good luck with it!

tahts not bad, hopefully its just that.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:01 PM
32duece

my truck was doing the same thing, went to the dodge dealer bought 2 bushings, new tvi cable, bushing cost $5.00 replaced in 30 minutes works fine. Try that first, then if it is still doing it change your TPS. lastly rebuild your transmission.

Quick Reply: Irregular Shifting, help settle my nerves