2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

inverter ??????'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:43 PM
erikb45
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inverter ??????'s

hey df' ers im considering installing a 800 watt power inverter in my truck . dont know much about electric or inverters would their be any downsides to doing so would i be able to run power tools for example a circular saw screwgun ? any and all advice would be helpfull thanx

Old 12-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Mike Roma
Professional
Default RE: inverter ??????'s

You could run tools up to about 6 amps. That leaves out any circular saw I know of. A screwgun would probably work ok. Just check the amp rating. 120 volts x 6 amps = 720 watts. You want to leave a little buffer. Don't overload it. If you're using your starting battery, you may want to leave the engine running for longer jobs. Just running a tool for a few minutes should be ok with engine off. You don't want a dead battery.

Don't try to charge cordless tool batteries with your inverter, unless the maker says it's ok. You probably have a modified sine wave inverter? Also, wire directly to battery, not cig lighter. Use heavy wire. Use the wire that came with the inverter, if any. If unsure of wire size and length, find out/make sure!

Here's a little more info:
http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/inverter_faq.html

I just got a great deal on a 2500 watt inverter, myself. Haven't installed it yet, still in the box! I have a 1500w inverter, and marine battery that has served me well. A very nice thing to have in a work truck. (or any truck)

Old 12-15-2006, 10:57 AM
BeachCrawler
Rookie

Not too long agom I did a dual battery and inverter in my truck. Check my sig below

Old 12-15-2006, 05:06 PM
erikb45
Veteran

thanks guys i think ill get the larger one instead appreciate the info

Quick Reply: inverter ??????'s