2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum pan replaced!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 AM
trippinout
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plenum pan replaced!

Morgriff -
I used the aps plenum pan deluxe kit. Came with gaskets and new bolts. With my father and I together, the job took about 6 hours. Although we did have a trip to the parts store and lunch during this time. Only had a couple of problems during job. I would say 4 hrs if there are no problems and no food breaks (if you know what you are doing). If this is your first time with this sort of job, takeall day.

Watch out for the ground wire on the alternator. There is a place underneath the connector to put a wrench so you dont torque the connector off un-doing the top nut. That was one of my problems. Make sure that you have some spare fuel injector o-rings (trip to parts store).

You will also need a 24 inch to 84 inch lbs torque wrench! This took a little searching to find. Napa Autoparts has one for around $70. Everyone else in area only had 10 ft lb and up!

Where does the oil go!? It mixes with your fuel and can throw any and all of your emissions sensors off. CEL's I had were for the MAP and O2 sensor. Code for O2 sensor threw 5 times this year. That is when I found this forum and started doing research.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I also bought the APS kit and have been very happy with it. The factory plenum is just stamped steel and easily warps which causes the vacuum leak that draws the oil into the intake then into your combustion chambers. The APS, and Hughes plenums are 1/4 inch billet aluminum and cannot warp. You should never encounter the dreaded leaking plenum again unless you install the gasket wrong or torque the bolts incorrectly.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a reminder than *anytime* the FI rail and/or injectors are removed that the O-rings should be replaced. It's cheap insurance.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:30 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

I also bought the APS kit and have been very happy with it. The factory plenum is just stamped steel and easily warps which causes the vacuum leak that draws the oil into the intake then into your combustion chambers. The APS, and Hughes plenums are 1/4 inch billet aluminum and cannot warp. You should never encounter the dreaded leaking plenum again unless you install the gasket wrong or torque the bolts incorrectly.
it's not that it warps, it's the two different metals expanding & contracting at different rates.... it tears the original gasket which was a paper type. many have had sucess using the stock pan & the felpro gasket... the aluminum plate just leaves no doubt.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:13 AM
morrgriff
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Trippin and for the heads up on the torque wrench. Wouldn't have caught it.,

I saw the TSB called for 3-4 hrs so I would take "all day". Love gettin' my hands dirty but like to do it right.

After I did another search on the plenum and weeded through the gazillion posts on it, I did find where the oil went. Think it's been a problem on my truck for a while. May have clogged my cat that was replaced just a few weeks ago.

Any info on the injector o-ring size would complete my shopping list.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:50 AM
trippinout

Advance Auto sells a generic fuel o-rings box with different size o rings in it. I bought 3 to have enough. Plus I was running out of time to get this job finished. I can always use the other o rings for my motorcycles and RC stuff, so no biggie for me. Don't know if other parts stores will have more specific o-rings. May have to proclaim BOHICA* and go to the dealer. Just check your pricing before you buy anything if you have the time. *Bend Over Here It Comes Again

Quick Reply: Plenum pan replaced!