2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

-96 Ram 1500,Mirror problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Clayman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -96 Ram 1500,Mirror problem.

Hi guys.
Just moved into the country from Sweden, i have always liked the Dodge for its look and performance, so when we came in 2 weeks ago i picked up a -96 Ram with only 70k miles on it,probably paied way to much for it also but i needed a hand hauling our boxes we had to take out of the airport.
So anyway, the rearwiev mirrors are acting weird, they are totally loose and are flopping in the wind when you are driving,and if i get on the freeway the wind makes them turn against my side windows,this is really irritating and also dangerous.
I´ve crawling around trying to figure out how they are mounted on the door but i cant find a single screw or anything to hold them?!

I´m sure you guys know what i´m talking about,what should i do to fix this!?

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Ramblin
Default RE: -96 Ram 1500,Mirror problem.

Big problem with those 96 model mirrors..You can take the door panel off and there will be 3 bolts that holds the mirror on.I to had the same problem with my 96.I went to the salvage yard and pulled them my self and got a pair off of a 99 model.Much better mirror and no more problems.There is really no way to actually tighten the mirror on your model,pick you up some newer ones for really cheap,hopr this helps,
Ramblin

Old 12-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Brouillard

I had the same problem. Thanks for the tip. They'll go by the way side if they get lose again.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:36 AM
Clayman

Thanks for the reply.
That sucks that it is a common problem, anyway, any idea what they might cost? I have electric adjusting on them to, will that be able to have on the -99 model mirrors also or do they need to be modified?

Anything more i can do to get this truck a little bit faster? The stock exhaust dosent really seem like the breather kind. Is there any after market systems to get? I already read about the air, that a K&N will make it better.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ramblin

Big problem with those 96 model mirrors..You can take the door panel off and there will be 3 bolts that holds the mirror on.I to had the same problem with my 96.I went to the salvage yard and pulled them my self and got a pair off of a 99 model.Much better mirror and no more problems.There is really no way to actually tighten the mirror on your model,pick you up some newer ones for really cheap,hopr this helps,
Ramblin
Tightening the bolts doesn't help. My driver's side mirror moves just enough to be annoying. There was a TSB out for a plate/bracket to be installed between the mirror and the door to prevent this from happening. I showed the TSB to my local dealer, and the parts department told me the bracket is no longer available.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:40 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it is worth reading this TSB

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/08-09-98.htm

from this very useful Dave Fritz webpage

http://dodgeram.org/tech/troubleshoot/body.htm

Quick Reply: -96 Ram 1500,Mirror problem.