2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do you know if you have an LSD rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 03:10 AM
jktrepin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you know if you have an LSD rear end?

ORIGINAL: radwebster

ORIGINAL: jktrepin

alright i did a burn out and i only had one solid black line..... lol but does anyone know what those letters and #'s mean on the inside of your hood?..... like what indianaman said.... I want a posi-differential... i want both wheels to spin when i burn out. What is so great about LSD rearends?

posi and LSD are the same thing. posi is GM's name for a limited slip differential. for the ram its a trac-loc or somethin. they're all the same function.

you most likely have an open differential (or a wrecked LSD).

limited slip helps alot in offroading situations where one tire might sit and spin and leave you stuck.
I'll just have to look into it. Would i have to get a whole new differential or is there sumthing you can just change out?

Old 12-25-2006, 03:36 AM
radwebster
Captain

inside the differential there aresome gears, and those gears ride in a piece call a carrier. you would replace that carrier with a locker. lockers arent cheap...depending on what axle youre trying to lock, its gonna cost anywhere from $200 to $700 for a locker, plus figure roughly $500 for the installation. installing gears and lockers can be tricky, so its generally best to pay for the install so you dont F it up

Old 12-25-2006, 02:05 PM
jktrepin
Professional

Old 12-26-2006, 02:39 AM
jktrepin
Professional

I have Four Wheel drive though..... so when i put it in four wheel drive, does that activate the other 3 wheels to spin?? Since i only had the one wheel burn when i did a burn out. Any help would be nice i guess, lol.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:19 PM
radwebster
Captain

ORIGINAL: jktrepin

I have Four Wheel drive though..... so when i put it in four wheel drive, does that activate the other 3 wheels to spin?? Since i only had the one wheel burn when i did a burn out. Any help would be nice i guess, lol.
you have open differentials front and rear. remember that open diffs transmit power to the wheel with least resistance...so if one side of the axle is spinnin in mud, and the other side has good traction on dry ground....you're just gonna sit there spinning the muddy side's tire. this will happen on both the front and rear axles.

so, essentially, when its in 4wd you really only have 2 wheels driving the truck, one front and one rear. only 50% of your potential traction that means. a locker or LSD in the rear helps tremendously, making sure both rear wheels spin together. this puts you at 75% total traction, which is a huge increase.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:51 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: radwebster

assuming your LSD is in good working condition...

you can jack the back of the truck up and try to turn one wheel. one tire will turn the opposite direction of the one you're turning if you have an open differential. they will both turn the same way if its an LSD.
Yup thats what I'd do. I wouldn't do a burnout to find out but thats just me.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:23 AM
johnalm
Rookie

on the tag under hood or in glove box is 'dsa' this is the sales option code for trac-lok diff or on the drivers side of diff there is a paper tag wrapped around the tube near the wheel. this will give you gear ratio and open or trac-lok. if you still cant find these i can find it through the vin anyway.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to dig open an old topic, but how would you find it in the VIN?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:27 AM
spaz_22
Captain

get a build sheet form the dealership.

Quick Reply: How do you know if you have an LSD rear end?