2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a few CB questions (cuz i finally got one)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Terran
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: a few CB questions (cuz i finally got one)

Not to do more ball busting, but you can get nice tiny units with the weather channels on them for like $30 at Shack-with-a-Radio

Old 12-28-2006, 02:20 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Terran

Not to do more ball busting, but you can get nice tiny units with the weather channels on them for like $30 at Shack-with-a-Radio

and i very well might go get one, im gonna see how this one works out. if this one ends up working ok im gonna keep it but right now its not recieving extremely clearly, so im going to try and find a CB shop to take a look at it.

does anyone know of radioshack would be able to help me with tuning my CB? ive searched our local phonebook and google, and i cant find any shops around here that are CB specific

Old 12-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

If there is a truck stop in your area, a lot of them have CB shops in or near them. OR - go to one and ask around on channel 19 and you should be able to find someone who knows where a shop is. Channel 19 is the "family channel" everyone runs just so you know. You probably want to run the anl and nb switches "on" mine are on all the time. Some of those old radios are really strong - you want to have the swr's checked out soon to make sure there is no issue with the antenna. You will always have some static on receive - you just have to set the squelch **** right at the edge of the static and get used to it. PA speaker cord should plug in to the "pa" jack on the back. Flip switch to "pa" and you are set. A good, well tunedantenna is the biggest secret to cb performance, so go find a shop or someone who can set it up correctly for you.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:41 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

yea i was asking someone tonight if he knew a good local shop, and then i got out of range before he can answer. i think im only hearing 2-3 miles clearly right now, so i need a swr tune.

thanx for the help.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:56 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

found a local CB shop...... is 30 bucks for a tune an ok deal?

Old 12-30-2006, 02:04 AM
magnum318
Rookie

Not bad, my shop charges a $15 bench fee I think then the tune and peak fee. I think a total of $35.

Try to peak at the guys shop. Not doubting people but I trust no shop that doesn't have the correct gear. #1 a Scope, looks like a little tv with lines on it and he has fequency counter and a tone generator.
As long as he has a shop that looks like a repair shop it's ok, just a soldering iron and a multi tester on a bench can't do it correctly IMO..........

Old 12-30-2006, 02:42 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

$30 is about right. See if you can get him to peak and tune the radio, and also set your SWR's with the radio installed in the truck. If he is good - he should be willing to help you out with that also. If your SWR's are too high you will burn up the radio shortly.....

Old 12-30-2006, 03:42 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

wait...... i thought to 'tune' it MEANT setting the SWR's?? if not, then whats it mean to tune it? and what is peak, i havent heard that term yet?

Old 12-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Terran
Professional

Man just go to radioshack. It'll save you money rather then just messing around with a crap unit.http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...gkw=CB%20radio

Old 12-30-2006, 01:26 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

i dont see how buyin a new radio and a new antenna, then getting them tuned is going to save me any $$ over gettin a radio and antenna free and getting them tuned. i know its not a crap unit because my uncle bought it when it first came out, and he gets first class everything (especially electronics). yes its a little older so it may not be as good as the ones made today, but it works fine.

im just wonderin differences in tuning vs settin swr's and whats 'peak'?

Quick Reply: a few CB questions (cuz i finally got one)