2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a few CB questions (cuz i finally got one)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:40 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few CB questions (cuz i finally got one)

ok a few questions. well first ill tell yall this; i FINALLY got a CB like ive been wanting, and its a hand-me-down from my uncle, so although its a little older and bulky, its already tuned for its antenna which is convenient.

so i was playin around with it today, and i have a few questions. it has a meter on it that measures signal strength. its a scale of one to ten, and mine seems to be hovering around 5ish.... i guess im just not sure if this is normal or if the signal is usually stronger? i realize that the strength depends on the antenna setup etc, but im askin is 5 good or should i take it somewhere to get it re-tuned?

also ive read some stuff about weather channels on CBs..... is this a particular channel?

also i have the PA option on mine...... how do i hook up a speaker to it? is it as simple as buyin a speaker at radioshack and pluggin it in? or does it have to be a certain type of speaker?

i realize some of these ?s could be answered with an owners manual that would come with it but remember its a hand me down so i didnt get a manual. thanx guys.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:46 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: a few CB questions (cuz i finally got one)

Some CB's like my old one and my handheld have weather channels. My new one in my truck might but I'm not really sure. I never really used them but it when I did it was a button you switched over to the weather channels with. Then there would be a few channels with weather info on them.

As for the signal strength I don't know. You should get a SWR meter if the Radio doesn't have one built it and your swr the lower the better. You should try to get it as close to 1 as possible. My CB's manual states up to 3 is ok but I'd be doing some serious adjusting if mine was over 2. It should be around 1-1.5.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:30 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

another question. the CB has two on/off switches on it (other than power on/off)

one says ANL (on/off) and the other is NB (on/off)...... anyone know what either of these do?

and also anyone know about the PA?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:16 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I can't think of what they mean off hand but usually they are some type of noise reducer to try and get rid of unwanted noise. I think mine has NB and ANL on the same switch if I'm thinking about the correct thing. What kind of CB is it?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:45 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

its a Gemtronics GTX-55

its really old.... i've searched Google for it, and i cannot find ANYTHING on that particular model. I have found other gemtronics though, a gt-66 and some others. I cant find anything for the gtx55 but the other gemtronics i've found were made in the late 70s (gt-66, '78) so im guessing mine was made back then also.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:11 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

ANL is automatic noise limiter. I think that's a feature you would activate within a city's limits per say. The NB I believe is noise balancer? Might keep the noise at a constant level so it doesn't get loud then soft, then load again. Don't quote me on the NB though.....LOL.

Also I can only find GT55 and GTX 5000.......no GTX55.

Not breakin ***** but maybe double check that? I'll look for a manual.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Ram1500Dodge
Veteran

the pa question, just find you a PA speaker(can usually be found at a truck stop) and plug it in. switch the cb to PA and feel free to yell at your neighbors kids for playin in the street again

Trending Topics

Old 12-28-2006, 03:25 AM
zosoaol

NB Noise Blanker: The noise blanker reduces pulse-type noise such as engine ignition and sparking. If you hear engine noise through your speaker the NB should reduce it.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:36 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

thanx guys i really appreciate the help.

so ANL- automatic noise limiter...... can you help me understand what it does, though?

Old 12-28-2006, 03:49 AM
zosoaol

Theirfunction is to improve sound quality when receiving a signal. Whatever sounds best to youis the right position for the switch.

Quick Reply: a few CB questions (cuz i finally got one)