2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a few CB questions (cuz i finally got one)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Terran
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: a few CB questions (cuz i finally got one)

But i'm saying, why do you even need to get it tuned unless you're looking for the top notch communication, and if that's true, you'd be using HAM or somthing like that. CB is just somthing you use to talk to people a mile or two around you, local communication. It's technically illegal to use your CB to talk over a range of somthing like 5 miles.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

To "peak and tune" a radio in CB shop terms means to open it up and "tweak" the settings inside it for maximum output and receive capability. The radio's are set up "mildly" out of the factory in order to stay within the legal limits on output wattage. Needless to say - my radio that has been "peaked and tuned" with a power mike and good antenna will blow right over your stock Radio Shack p.o.s.
Tuning the SWR's is done by putting a SWR meter in between the radio and the antenna when it is installed in the vehicle. The meter will readthe Standing Wave Ratio and the antenna length can be adjusted somewhat to achieve the lowest reading. Under 2 is ok, under 1 is stellar.
If your uncle had "first class" equipment, it's quite possible he had it tuned already. The shop should be able to tell quickly if this is so. Being an older radio is sometimes good - some of the older ones are better than the new ones. For someone like Terran to come on here and tell you it is a "crap" unit is BS, which is mostly what he puts out on here. It is not illegal to talk on a CB more than 5 miles. For him to say that just proves the point that he is not worth reading.There is a wattage limitation - but NOBODY cares anymore. 90% of the truckers are over the limit, many even have linear amplifiers that put out WAY over the limit. Just like speed - how much money do you want to spend????
Having a good CB setup is like having your truck running right. You have to give it a "tune up" once in a while - and it needs to be set up for max effieciency.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the RF Limited S45 Omegaforce. I gotta be honest, that radio has reach like nothing else I've ever had.....lol.

I had a Palomar high drive 500 for a while, but became paranoid that someone would track me down..lol.

Ok guys, good luck with your rides.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Terran
Professional

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

To "peak and tune" a radio in CB shop terms means to open it up and "tweak" the settings inside it for maximum output and receive capability. The radio's are set up "mildly" out of the factory in order to stay within the legal limits on output wattage. Needless to say - my radio that has been "peaked and tuned" with a power mike and good antenna will blow right over your stock Radio Shack p.o.s.
Tuning the SWR's is done by putting a SWR meter in between the radio and the antenna when it is installed in the vehicle. The meter will readthe Standing Wave Ratio and the antenna length can be adjusted somewhat to achieve the lowest reading. Under 2 is ok, under 1 is stellar.
If your uncle had "first class" equipment, it's quite possible he had it tuned already. The shop should be able to tell quickly if this is so. Being an older radio is sometimes good - some of the older ones are better than the new ones. For someone like Terran to come on here and tell you it is a "crap" unit is BS, which is mostly what he puts out on here. It is not illegal to talk on a CB more than 5 miles. For him to say that just proves the point that he is not worth reading.There is a wattage limitation - but NOBODY cares anymore. 90% of the truckers are over the limit, many even have linear amplifiers that put out WAY over the limit. Just like speed - how much money do you want to spend????
Having a good CB setup is like having your truck running right. You have to give it a "tune up" once in a while - and it needs to be set up for max effieciency.
Whoa whoa, when did this become a pissing match. I'm just saying that CB's are a dying trend, and there is technially a legal output range (PART 95 of the FCC, up 5miles). Wether you choose to obey those laws is completely up to you. I'm not saying a CB from RS is better. But i am saying that you will never be satisfied with a CB if you're really up for distance communication because they have obvious limitations. The only people you can talk to is local truckers and your friends and with a newer one, you can get weather channels which are slightly more useful.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:52 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

thank you racinfan for answering my peak question. i didnt get by there yesterday so i guess ill get it done monday.

terran- i kinda see what your saying but when i go hunting or off roading i very well could need more thana mile or two of communication. plus when im on the interstate i wanna have more than a one mile heads up of hidden cops.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Terran
Professional

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

thank you racinfan for answering my peak question. i didnt get by there yesterday so i guess ill get it done monday.

terran- i kinda see what your saying but when i go hunting or off roading i very well could need more thana mile or two of communication. plus when im on the interstate i wanna have more than a one mile heads up of hidden cops.
I can understand that, but i'm just saying that the only ones who really monitor CB anymore are truckers, and unless you hunt or offroad within 5 miles of an interstate i think a cell phone might be a better idea, that and a nice radar dectector.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:56 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

the people i hunt/wheel with have CBs.... thats my point, we're places with no cell phone reception. ive thought this through and i know why i want one..... just had a few questions about it.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Terran
Professional

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

the people i hunt/wheel with have CBs.... thats my point, we're places with no cell phone reception. ive thought this through and i know why i want one..... just had a few questions about it.
Ok well good luck then. Although do consider moving up to a HAM radio. The reception is much better and the licenses are really easy to get.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:30 AM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie

Yes,Dont let anyone fool you into thinking CB's are a dying trend they are not.All my friends who wheel have them,Channel 17 here in PA is loaded with people that have home base units etc.That gemtronic you have is a good radio.It has decent finals and can be peaked and tuned so to speak.Racinfan hit it on the head pretty good.Normal legal output wattage is 4.But noone really gets pissed off at you unless your running linear amps and so forth.All of Radio Shacks CB's are garbage.Back in the day they used to run all Uniden boards and were decent.But now there pretty much BLAH.Uniden,Cobra,President,Galaxy,RCI are all some of the tops.A great starter radio and a really great sounding radio is the Uniden Pro 510XL.It can be peaked and tweeked really well and is one of the best sounding radios out of the box.Brand new under 40 bucks.Go with a better antenna.And I dont mean break your bank.You can get a Wilson Little Wil antenna for 33 bucks and any truckstop.Very very easy to tune,They usually come tuned out of the package,paired with that gemtronics you have it should be a solid setup.If you get an SWR meter,PM me and I can run you through it step by step.Good luck

Old 12-31-2006, 02:45 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

so does that mean you've heard of the gtx-55? or just gemtronics? cuz ive searched google a thousand times for thinkin i made a typo orsomething but i cannot find anything about it. (but, just for the record, i looked on the back of the radio, and back when it was bought i guess you had to have a permit or something for it, cuz it says something about the permit to use it expires in November, 1981. so im assuming it was bought in 79 or 80)

so would you recommend me buyin an swr meter and just doing this myself? but im assuming id have to take it in to get it peaked anyways, so maybe i should justget both doneat the same time? ill see what the CB place says about my antenna. i was gonna get a used 20 foot whip from my buddy but because my radio is so old the plug on the whip wouldnt go into my antenna jack.

Quick Reply: a few CB questions (cuz i finally got one)