2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no bus???? comp. prob.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 01:44 PM
erikb45
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no bus???? comp. prob.

hey guys, last night i went to start my truck turned the key to the igniton on position to let the fuel pump prime firstand all dash lights came on no gauges moved at all. my odometer also said "no bus" turned key off then tried again same thing did it one more time and everything was fine.

does anybody know what happened or whats up with it thanx

Old 01-02-2007, 12:20 AM
erikb45
Veteran
Default RE: no bus???? comp. prob.

Hello? is this thing on?

Old 01-02-2007, 06:51 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

It means "Hell NO I won't start, Take the bus!"
Sorry I had to. I have no clue on what that means, I hope you figure it out.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the service manual says the bus is a data network shared by various control modules and sensors
https://dodgeforum.com/m_340929/tm.htm
save it to your pc. its big, 60mb

do a search on 'no bus' here, and also at dieseltruckresource.com, and dodgetrucks.org, there are a lot of threads about this with no single consistent answer that i see. discussion ranges from pcm plugs, grounds, resetting fuses, control modules (pcm, bcm/ctm) and sensors. sorry its all i can offer. if you come up with something solid post it back to help the crowd.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

here's another....
http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Why_would_a...ruck_runs_fine

Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM
erikb45
Veteran

im not sure if this was the cause but heres the story. thursday i got the windows tinted in the truck. the guy who did them said not to open the windows for 5 days. ( yes he said five, i usually have done 3 in the past) so knowing how my fiance doesnt pay attention to me when i talk and that she would be the one to put the window down - i pulled the fuse for the windows and stuck it in the power seat spot. being thati dont have power seats i thought that would be a good idea not to lose it. i did pull the fuse that night sunday night and returned it to its proper location and havent had a problem since. i dont know if this was the cause butyou did mention something about resetting fuses. ???????
thanks for the info and help

Old 01-02-2007, 10:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

definitely the cause.. you killed power to something important in the ctm.

ha.... i got one better than that...
bought my truck back last march, numerous fuses blown incl backup lights, cig light, aux power, etc. i replaced 2 or 3 and ran out and found one sitting in..... power door locks or windows or seats ?.
so i don't have power door locks or windows so i grab that fuse and use it somewhere else.... smart huh.

so about a week or two later i've forgotten all about that, and its raining and i notice that my intermittent wiper control won't allow me to vary the time delay. it seems to be stuck on the fastest delay. so i take half the blooming truck apart and replace the multifunction switch ($42), the central timing module (ctm, i think its also called the bcm, $120), buy the service manual ($15 download), print out the wiring diagrams, study and test, test and study, pull the wiper motor almost off and test that, test relays, test everything i can think of, and finally give up. blew another fuse messing with trailer lights and replaced all missing fuses. the next week it rained and my intermittent wipers worked. huh! pulled pwr win/door fuse - no intermittent control. put it back - intermittent worked.
hmmm hmmm hmmm. expensive little lesson.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 PM
erikb45
Veteran

yup that deff. beats mine!!! thanks again lol

Quick Reply: no bus???? comp. prob.