2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 02:55 AM
shopdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum

Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. I joined the ranks of RAM owners in 2003. I bought a loaded 1998 SLT with 24,500 on the clock. The truck looked showroom new, and was loaded with all the options. I learned it had been owned by a doctor who only used it to tow his boat to the lake. The rest of the time it sat in the garage. He traded it on a new truck. The dealer was willing to discount heavily, and I ended up getting it for $11,500. I thought that was a heck of a deal, maybe too good of a deal considering the appearance of the truck. I soon found out why. It was burning a quart of oil every 300 miles. Of course most of you know why, but at the time I didn't. It was a bad plenum gasket, which I changed out, along with new plugs. Theengine has run fine since, 40,000 on the clock now, using no oil and having plenty of power. The truck has aftermarket mag wheels and 285/75/P16 Chaparral tires installed by the first owner. The tires still haveplenty of tread and are wearing evenly.

I like this truck quite a bit, but lately Iam having some issues. The trackbar bushings seem to be worn, and the truck shudders around 40 MPH. It is smooth above and below this speed. I'm not sure if this is a tire or trackbar issue, but I know the trackbar bushings need to be replaced. So, first question, can I get bushings and install them, or do I have to buy a new trackbar (the dealer says the latter, but the dealer seems clueless)?

Second issue. The headlights are pathetic. I replaced the stock bulbs with Silverstars, but it still isn't very bright (I checked voltage at the bulbs, it is Ok). I hear that the Sport lights used on 1999 and newer trucks are brighter. So, my question is, how much brighter? To give perspective, my last two cars have had HID lights, so I've gotten used to being able to see at night when I drive. Driving the truck at night seems like driving with kerosene lanterns for headlights.

Finally, MPG is dreadful. The best I've gotten is 12 MPG. Given the price of gas, this is no longer a joking matter. I gather from reading here that this sort of mileage for these trucks isn't unusual, but I want to make it better. Significantly better. I don't race the truck, so the typical hotrod tricks don't interest me unless they give me significant MPG improvements in daily driving. So, I'm thinking that highway tires with less rolling resistance, perhaps back down to the factory size, might do some good. Perhaps a front air dam would help too. Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions.

BTW, the Infinity sound system in this truck puts the "premium" Bose system in my Corvette to shame. The truck's quieter and rides better too. Of course the Corvette has its own strong points. But its a real culture shock going back and forth between the two, especially since the Corvette gets 28 MPG and can do the quarter in 12.6 seconds.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:30 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Default RE: New to Forum

Welcome to the site!

You'll need a new trackbar. There are several aftermarket types out there. You could probably get by with a Lindstad bar, or one from source automotive. The former is a bolt in, the later will take some work. You could also purchase a stockreplacement bar from Moog. The tie rod end on the frame is the wear spot.
You probably need to aim your headlights. Sport models have a clear lens which may make them a bit brighter. You can purchase a clear lens setup that uses your stock bulbs off ebay. Remember your truck sits a lot higher than your 'vette, that can change how you precieve the road.

Dreadful mileage? I'd love to be getting 12.6 mpg! I'd feel like my ram was an economy car! You're driving an underpowered, undergeared (with oversized tires) 6,000+ pound truck with the aerodynamics of a box. Get OVER it!

Other than that, enjoy the truck!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:38 AM
shopdog

ORIGINAL: dsertdog56

Welcome to the site!

You'll need a new trackbar. There are several aftermarket types out there. You could probably get by with a Lindstad bar, or one from source automotive. The former is a bolt in, the later will take some work. You could also purchase a stockreplacement bar from Moog. The tie rod end on the frame is the wear spot.
Ok, thanks.

You probably need to aim your headlights. Sport models have a clear lens which may make them a bit brighter. You can purchase a clear lens setup that uses your stock bulbs off ebay. Remember your truck sits a lot higher than your 'vette, that can change how you precieve the road.
This isn't my first (or even my tenth) 4x4. I'm familiar with sitting in a high vehicle, but even my '78 F350 lights up the road better than this thing. The very first thing I did was check the headlight aim. I suppose I'll just have to hunt up some aftermarket lights.

Dreadful mileage? I'd love to be getting 12.6 mpg! I'd feel like my ram was an economy car! You're driving an underpowered, undergeared (with oversized tires) 6,000+ pound truck with the aerodynamics of a box. Get OVER it!

Other than that, enjoy the truck!
Heh. I know, I know, it isn't an economy car. But there ought to be something I can do to improve matters. So I'll ask again, anyone have any experience with switching to low rolling resistance tires or any aerodynamic changes to help the truck slip through the air with less effort?

Old 01-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Ballbeerfish
Rookie

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 01-06-2007, 09:10 PM
radwebster
Captain

a new trackbar runs about $130, i dont believe the bushings are servicable seperately.

for MPG, there's a couple things you can do, but don't expect miracles. its still a 5500 lb truck with the aeros of a brick. do you alot of highway driving? the most significant increase in highway mpg's would be to cruise at a slower speed than most people do. theres a certain point where the vehicle is the most efficent, and it tends to fall about 50 mph on our trucks. if you drive 80 or so on the highway, there is a lot of aerodynamic drag at play, which reduces your mpg quite a bit. going to a smaller diameter tire will help, as you're having to turn less mass while accelerating. there would also be less drag going to a not-so-wide tire (though that would be fairly insignificant). i wouldn't count on attaining over 15 mpg in mixed driving.

if you're used to HID lights then only an HID conversion will put you where you wanna be as far as brightness. they're slightly pricey, but anything else at this point isn't going to yield what you're looking for

Old 01-07-2007, 03:29 AM
shopdog

Ok, $130 isn't bad. I'll get one and put it on.

For MPG, 15 would thrill me to death.

I don't have to have HID brightness. I'd be pleased if I just had as much light as my 1978 F350 puts out. I read that the Sport lights use 4 bulbs instead of 2, so it should be twice as bright. That might do it, but I wanted some confirmation before going to the trouble of changing out the headlight assemblies.

For those wanting pictures, all I have is a camera phone, but I'll try to get a shot tomorrow and post it. The truck is two tone brown and grey. Pretty darn sharp looking if I do say so myself. The interior looks like new too. Cosmetically, this is as nice a truck as I've ever owned.

Quick Reply: New to Forum