2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Running rough after raining

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Running rough after raining

My trusty old Ram is starting to sputter after a rainy day. My guess it's probably the spark plug wires. Once she's running and warmed up, she's fine. On a dry day, she's fine. Never changed the wires, never complied with the TSB.

What do you think, wires? If so, recommendations? Don't need anything exotic but if I'm going to go through the trouble, I don't want junk. TIA. Todd

Old 01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
timwag2001
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Running rough after raining

when its dark out crack your hood open and take a look inside and look to see if there is any bluish arcing coming from the wires. maybe even take a spray bottle andmist water over the wires to see if it affects the way it runs. msd makes some nice 8.5 mm wires and you shouldnt have any trouble with those arcing. while youre in there replace your cap and rotor because that could be causing your problem too. depending on the age and condition you might also want to change your coil.
a set of msd 8.5 's will probably run about $75

Old 01-09-2007, 05:47 PM
mattyge
Veteran

coil could be the problem it's right out front and takes the brunt of the water/moisture try putting some silione on the wires and adapter that plug into the bottom to seal it up.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Crabman
Professional

Thanks guys. It's gotta besome kind of moisture problem. Tried spraying with some water and sure enough it started running rough again. I will try to take a peek tonight but I think I will pull the cap, rotor and wires as they have never been changed in 77,000 miles. Dodge cap and rotor or after market?

Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aftermarket .cheaper ..If you have a napa store near you get it there and get a cap with brass on it..

Old 01-10-2007, 12:26 AM
JarheadX
All Star

thats ur problem, i had the same thing happen to mine, i changed just my plugs and wires and she runs like she did off the line

Old 01-10-2007, 02:45 AM
clk219th
Amateur

I had the same problem on mine. I did the spray bottle at night and got quite a show, and even a little shocking experience when I tried to move the coil wire. I wound up having a couple of cracks in the coil wire and in the coil itself. Showed up real easy at night with a little water added to the mix.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Crabman
Professional

Bought a set of MSD wires and got a cap, rotor and plugs from NAPA. Jeez Louise, what a PITA trying to get to the old cap and wires. Sure would be nice if the would have mounted the distributor in the front of the motor. Don't want to justyank everything off since it seems so sensitive on how you run the wires. Decided to put it off until I had more time and light. Thanks for the suggestions. BTW, do you still have to follow the TSB using the heavier MSD wires?

Old 01-10-2007, 03:55 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep its a pain in the ***... but look what a shop would charge to do it ? intresting thing yesterday my truck started to stumble and its the coil that showed up on the scanner ... If i was you i would get a coil either stock or you can get the msd one... im getting the msd they plug right in....here the pdf links
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf_catalog/Coils_48-58.pdf <-- coils
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf_catal...ions_20-50.pdf <-ingitions

Old 01-10-2007, 05:59 PM
timwag2001
All Star

i think i heard that you dont have to follow the tsb with the 8.5s but im not positive.

Quick Reply: Running rough after raining