2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

camber adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Cowboy505
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spindles

Originally Posted by raceace26
question regarding 1998 ram ball joints... I bought a truck (4x4) solid axle that had the ball joints replaced at least once before as they were tack welded in place. The lower was bad when I bought it so I put new ones in it, but the hole is "hogged" out just enough that the ball joint doesnt press in at all, it just slips in and out. I am planning on having it tacked in place again, however, I noticed that my drivers side front tire is feathering a bit on the inside tread after about 1500 miles on em. How would I fix this problem assuming that the ball joints were welded in? I dont think that there is enough play in the ball joint socket to allow me to get that much gain from it. I am just not interested in tearing up new tires, but on the same hand, I dont want to weld this ball joint in place if I really need to do something else instead.
you need to replace your spindles for proper fit. otherwise your chancing even the new ball joints breaking and looking like an idiot on the side of the road with a more expensive problem

Last edited by jasonw; 06-10-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 AM
jimm316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offset ball joints

I have a 2000 4x4 with the right front tire wearing, ball joint eating, problem. I see that Moog sells the offset lower ball joints and Raybestos sell the upper offset ball joints. Which do I need or is it both? Had it aligned twice with the same result: "We got it as close as we could, but it's still out of spec." Still wandering, still eating tires. Why am I getting 4000 miles out of Moog ball joints? I have done it twice in two years...

Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Moog ain't what they used to be.....

What size tires are you running? Half ton truck? Did you get a spec sheet when you had it aligned? How's the steering box? Got slop in your steering?

Find out how much adjustment you need to get your front end back in spec for camber, and get the balljoints what will let you do it. Don't think it matters if you use uppers, lowers, or both for the adjustment.

Also, increase caster angle to 3*. That will make the truck less prone to wandering.

Quick Reply: camber adjustment