2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What would happen if....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Bran743
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would happen if....

I've been trying to find a set of headers that I like...something in a long tube design. Well i finally found a set but they are only for the 96-01 Rams, Dakotas, and Durango's with out the EGR valve. What would happen if I installed these and blocked off the EGR valve? My current configuration is as follows:

'94 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
5.9L w/ 46RH
Mopar Performance PCM
K&N Air Filter
More Mods to come when I get the time to turn the wrenches :-)

Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM
mojo
Professional
Default RE: What would happen if....

My guess is the service engine soon light would come on, the truck, if you live in one of those states, won't pass emissions and it will run like a bat out of hell. 94 was before OBD II so it might not mater at all. I have run 4 cyl fords with and with out egr valves and set the headers up just like you are doing and as far as they run it is the same. The only difference is there is no anoying engine light in the race car and its not street legal.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are long tube headers, they are probably designed to fit the 4x2, not a 4x4. I only know of one full length header that fits a 4x4, and i'm not sure they are on the market yet.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:46 PM
zique
Captain

Since we're on the subject of short and long headers, what exactly is the difference? I'd imagine it has something to do with where the increase is experienced (low, mid, high), but what are they exactly?

Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Bran743
Amateur

S&S makes a set of long tube tri-Y's that are designed for our trucks. Comes with headers, Y pipe, and Hi-Flow Cat. I emailed them to make sure they would fit and they said they test them on a '96 Ram 4X4 with no problems.

I'll try unplugging the EGR valve and see how that goes. The bulb isn't a big deal. I can just pull the bulb or see if I can borrow my buddies Snap-On computer and turn it off that way.

Zique - Yes the tube length effects where the power gain is felt. Shorty headers generally boost power in the top end. Long tubes generally boost in the lower end.

Quick Reply: What would happen if....