2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing Turbo On V10, Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 02:10 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Installing Turbo On V10, Need advice!

like i said above RM_Indy is running a paxton.. IIRC and a FAST...

i love the initiative .. if i had the time id do the samething.. i bet youll be the first dodge ram to run a turbo b/c im pretty sure theres no premade kits out there

Old 01-26-2007, 02:19 AM
I BE PULLIN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry shott8283,I didn't over look what you said earlier and I definately appreciate the input. I'll PM RM_indy sometime tommorow.

I'm pretty stoked to do the setup. I took the truck to the dunes for New years and with the 37's, the posi and being a dually the thing just floated on the sand. It was a blast! Even pulled out a few motorhomes and Fords. I'm not going to get real cocky with the boost right away as I don't have the funds to do a rebuild on the motor anytime soon but it oughta be a blast. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted when I get moving along with it. -Trent

Old 01-26-2007, 02:23 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many lbs boostis this turbo rated to make on the 8.3 it came off of?
At how many rpms does it make that boost?

Haltech, Megasquirt, Accell and FAST arethe most popular setups you can get to tune it. The Megasquirt is the cheapest and you have to build it yourself. Accell EFI, FAST bank to bank or XFI, and Haltechstart at 2k and come with all the software and hardware you will need.
You really should haveall the guages as well to monitor itfor when the laptop is not hooked up. Fuel press, vac/boost, air to fuel and a trans temp gauge IMHO are must haves. Adding that kind of hp best to beef up all cooling systems. Your trans wont be happy seeing double the hp/trq so attention to it would be smart. Fuel system will need to be upgraded. Stock injectors, rails, pump and regulator will not be up to the task and need replacing.
I have 5k into my fuel, tune & gauges (parts only).Even on the cheap I would expect it to cost youin the$3.5-4k range

Old 01-26-2007, 02:30 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

^^^ wicked smot'

Old 01-26-2007, 01:03 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Opps, 5-8 psi, didnt read close enough and saw dumptruck turboso figured double digit boost.
How do you plan to plumb the exhaust/intake? Mounting the turbo under the truck like an STS kit and run theintake back up?
Are you going to run an intercooler or injection setup (meth/h2o)
Is your V10 stock, no bolt ons?

5-8psi is mild so if your stock or near stockcould run a boost a pump, fmu and an MSD BTM to pull timing. Its not going to give you all the power thats there but it will work. Paxton FMU and inline pump as well as a MSD BTM could be found on ebay for cheap Im sure. Stand alone engine management is for when your running something radical and or with big boost. (mine on both accounts)

One thing though, Paxton/Vortech makes a crap fmu and everyone I know that uses one complains about them. The fixed rate fmu you have to run a high enough ratio to make sure its never lean, but at some points itwill be too rich and reduce power &kill milege (WOT mileage is terrible lol). Aeromotive DFMU is tuneable. Looks like a 5band equilizer and you can ramp the ratio from 2:1 to 14:1 so you will be able to tune a better fuel ratio but its not cheap. 400+ new.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:17 PM
I BE PULLIN

I'm sure it'll be closer to 8-10psi but it's still a stock motor so nothing to crazy. I was originally thinking something like what you mentioned as far as the FMU, Timing retard and boost a pump. I did hear however that paxton offers something similar to that of a throttle body spacer with an additional 3 injectors installed. Any idea what pound injectors come stock on the V10 and are there any aftermarket ones available? I know the Ford ones are pretty interchangeable but I don't screw around to much with the fuel injected mopars. I hope to get started on the project before too long but I have about 10 others going and need to keep the priorities straight. ; )

Old 01-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Try and set it up like this guy.......Out runs a viper!!!!!!!!
http://use.com/4522

Old 01-28-2007, 01:18 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Im not sure what injectors are in our V10s TBH. I would think its probably a 21 or 24lb but Im guessing.

8lbs boost is ok but 10lbs is getting up there. I am not sure what the V10s headgaskets are like. Above 8psi on the stock 5.9 hdgskts is dangerzone and the slightest hint of detonation will take them out.

With the sidemount tb/intake manifold on the V10s I would not want extra injectors even if they were on a nitrous plate type setup. Closer the injector to the combustion chamber the better hp and safer the motor will be. Less chance of puddling and backfire. I would be worried that bank 2cylinders being so far away from the injectors may go lean under boost without you knowing it. Widebands give avg a/f ratio if you only have one downstream in a ypipe. Im going to have one wideband for each cyl bank so I can monitor mine closer. My AEM w/b reads off of 1, 3, 5 & 8 and the FAST w/b will read off 2, 4, 6 & 8 cylinders. Have to see if I can wire in the second o2 to the fast or not but either way Ill be able to see via laptop/gauge that mines safe when tuning it.

For what that plate/extra injector will cost and the results it will give I would go with the Aeromotive over it. If you had a 5.9 or hemi then maybe this setup wouldnt be as bad but on the V10, I would avoid it.

Another thing you could try is the SMT6 or SMT7. Piggy back tuner (need laptop for it) I have one(smt6) in my truck currently but disabled it. Picked up about 10rwhp NA on my mild 360 tuning my MP PCM with it but had the odd hiccup that got much worse when running boost. No wiring schematics for a V10 though so could mean trial and error on your part to wire it up right. I was following schematics from an 00 Dak RT and not sure if it was right and possibly why I had the hiccups. Knew it wouldnt suite my needs as soon as I added the 408 so gave up on it early (runs up to 40lb injectors/have 65lb for my setup)
http://perfectpower.com/

Quick Reply: Installing Turbo On V10, Need advice!