2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing Turbo On V10, Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 PM
I BE PULLIN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Turbo On V10, Need advice!

I picked up a turbo to put on my V10. I do however have one large hill to get over and that is the fuel end of the situation. What are my options for increasing fuel delivery to compensate? I only plan on running 5 to 8 pounds of boost. Aside from an FMU, Boost a pump, etc what are my options here? Basically I'm looking for a run down on anything pertaining to to the ram fuel system such as is it a return style system, can it be changed in the computer, etc. From what I have heard so far it is a bad road to travel but if Paxton offers an 8 to 10 pound S/C kit it can't be impossible. Fill me in guys... ; )

P.S. The turbo is off an 8.3L dump truck so it should be more than enough...

Old 01-25-2007, 12:06 AM
hicktown
Professional
Default RE: Installing Turbo On V10, Need advice!

Hmm im interested in your turbo venture. are you doing the work yourself? how much is this addition gonna cost you?

Old 01-25-2007, 12:12 AM
I BE PULLIN

I picked up the turbo for free through a friend who works at Cummins. I will be doing all the work myself given the exception of some of the piping which I will be getting some help from my buddy at an exhaust shop. I'm thinking I should be able to get the whole project done for around 800 plus or minus. -Trent

Old 01-25-2007, 01:50 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thats a big snail your using lol

obvioulsy larger injectors.. dediciated aux. fuel pump and an extra pick up line from the tank and/or recycle the return.. this will **** that PCM off in all sorts of ways..would almost be better to remove the PCM alltogether and go with a stand alone system..and forget about theOBDII... talk to RM_Indy,he's runnign a FAST i think with his S/C and its completley tunable.. i think.. lotta work .. but hell man.. "got boost" cant wait!!!!

p.s. ive often thought about adapting a snail from a tractor trailer to run on mine.. i rent an apt that is owned by a large agricultural feed company and they have about a dozen desiel scrap motors laying around for parts from trucks that wrecked or just plain died

p.s.s. dont forget oil delivery to the snail.. some sort of heat exchanger.. retard your timing .. premium feul ALL the time.. waist gate..

Old 01-25-2007, 02:22 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

one thing to mention... if the turbo was originally off a cummins motor, it'll spool a hellova lot faster than a normal gasser turbo. I'm no expert but I know the diesel turbos are setup differently than the gassers...

Old 01-25-2007, 03:37 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

came off a 8.3 L ...your playing with the big boys...just to have my turbo rebuilt on my rig was 525 bucks... i see spending more then 800... but if you pull it off i like to see some videos....good luck

Old 01-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I BE PULLIN

The turbo is a Holset HX40W. It was a new install on the truck it came off of but the motor crapped out shortly after so when the motor was replaced another turbo went in with it. That being said, I think it will be awhile before it gives me any problems. Ebay had a rebuild kit for this turbo for around 75.00 as I recall however. If I can get this fuel system taken care of I think I'll be good to go... -Trent

Old 01-25-2007, 02:40 PM
556fmj
Professional

just make sure you install a wideband 02 sensor/moniter in this to aid in tuning. You'd probably be best with a completely programmable computer like one from FAST www.fuelairspark.com or one from megasquirt www.megasquirt.com Either one will allow you to tune with a laptop on the go to avoid melting down your v10

Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 PM
shnormo
Veteran

Don't forget a boost refrencing fuel regulator 1:1 ratio. I would definately get a stand alone system.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:04 AM
I BE PULLIN

Couple a questions. Has anyone tried either of these two controllers or the paxton setup? Do these trucks have a return type fuel system with a variable voltage pump? Lastly, how much work is it to adapt to one of the above mentioned controllers?I'll do some more research tommorow and try torelay any points or information I find regarding this. Any input is still greatly appreciated... -Trent

Quick Reply: Installing Turbo On V10, Need advice!